Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th October 2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Nonoy Tan

Default Three "bolos" for ID

Can anyone ID these three "bolos"? (from the Philippines ?)

The "monster face" pommel on one of the blades appears to be made of horn, with a scabbard of wood and bone.
Attached Images

Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
Can anyone ID these three "bolos"? (from the Philippines ?)

The "monster face" pommel on one of the blades appears to be made of horn, with a scabbard of wood and bone.
The "monster face" sword is not from the Philippines.
But I don't know exactly what it is though. I am thinking between a Sumatran pedang II, but it could be a javanese sword also when I look at the scabbard end.

I'm sure people of the forum with more knowledge on these swords can tell exactly what it is.

Regards,
Maurice

Last edited by Maurice; 9th October 2008 at 10:41 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Nonoy Tan,

The first two are Talibon from the Philippines and probably from the second quarter of the 20th century. The third is a Golok from Java? The face I believe is a tiger. Sorry I don't know much about them.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ROBERT GOT THE ID RIGHT ON. THE TALIBON WAS BOTH A KNIFE EVERYONE CARRIED FOR EVERDAY USE AND FOR PROTECTION. THE SMALLER EXAMPLES WERE USUALLY IN THE ABOVE CATEGORY BUT THERE WERE LARGER EXAMPLES CARRIED BY WARRIORS THAT WERE USED MOSTLY FOR FIGHTING.
ONE OF THE INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT THESE SMALLER PERSONEL TALIBON IS THEY WERE OFTEN PERSONILIZED BY THEIR OWNERS SO THERE IS A WIDE VARIATION IN DESIGNS AND THE SKILLS OF THE CARVERS. THERE WERE NO DOUBT PROFESIONAL CARVERS WHO MAY ALSO HAVE MADE THE BLADES AND PUT THE ENTIRE KNIFE TOGETHER BUT OFTEN IT APPEARS THAT THE NEW OWNER MAY HAVE JUST TRADED FOR THE BLADE OR PERHAPS ONE WITH A SIMPLE HANDLE AND SCABBARD AND MODIFIED THE HANDLE AND SCABBARD HIMSELF CHOOSING HIS OWN DESIGNS. HE COULD ALSO HAVE CARVED HIS OWN REPLACEMENT HANDLE AND GRIP AFTER HE BOUGHT THE KNIFE OR WHEN THE ORIGINALS NEEDED REPLACED.
THE EXAMPLE YOU POSTED (TOP PHOTO) WITH A FISH TAIL SHAPED SCABBARD IS ONE I HAD NOT SEEN SO EVEN THOUGH THE WORKMANSHIP ,CARVING WISE IS NOT THAT GREAT THE CARVER DID DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT IN HIS DESIGN. THATS THE SORT OF THING THAT MAKES THEM INTERESTING AND GOOD TO COLLECT. YOU CAN FIND A LOT MORE INFORMATION ON THEM USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION IN THE CURRENT FORUM AND IN THE FORUM ARCHIVES. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

The 2 talibon on the top are Visayan, more specifically Cebuano. The golok - yes Indonesian.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Nonoy Tan

Salamat (thanks) to all who responded. You are very helpful!

Nonoy
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote