Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th February 2014, 05:42 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Unusual powder tester for comments

Well, unusual for me, as i have always seen these things shaped like pistols ... handle, trigger and all.
This one has a more austere look, more like a 'lab tool' .
... and the ignition system is fascinating; different from the classic flint or percussion mode. Was the technique priming the touch hole lip with some powder or instead the match cord way ?
An 18th century example for sure, right ?
The handle is horn; which type, i don't know for sure.
... as i wouldn't know the origin of this device .
Any help in part or the whole query, please ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Nando,

I cannot say much more on this specimen than this: it was apparently made in the first half of the 19th century and widely used by dealers and shooters alike in order to test the quality of black powder. The toothed wheel is scaled to indicate the degree of intensity/quality at the time of explosion of the powder.

You say that you have mostly known similar tools with pistol grips so far. This may be due to the fact that most of them were table lighters for private use at home, most of them equiped with flintlock mechanisms.

Attached please find images of a flintlock table lighter for ignition of a matchcord, first half 18th c., another for igniting a candle, English, mid-18th c., and a flintlock powder tester, ca. 1800.

Best,
Michl
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 27th February 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 07:01 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you for the prompt reaction, Michl .
I suspect however that my point was missed .
I know (knew) how powder testers work, as i am familiar with candle lighters; but none of those have a straight handle or and a manual ignition system, instead of the current mechanical ones ... flint, percussion, etc.
I also don't see how in the 19th century, this 'cannon/gonne' ignition style was still in use
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Nando,

Though maybe not as explicitly as I had been hoping, I did try to meet your point in my reply. Please do forgive my obvious headiness, my dear friend!

Seen from the standpoint of an art historian, the (Neo-)Gothic style of the straight, plain handle perfectly corresponds to the 19th c. philosophy of 're-enlivening' the old Gothic style, and is clearly recognizable to me in this object.
Sadly I cannot tell how it was actually ignited, either, as I have never handled such an item (it's just way too 'young' to startle a true Gothic and Renaissance freak like me).
I am positive though that some of our members can. In any case, the ignition must have been very easy to achieve.

Best wishes,
Michl
Old 27th February 2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Marcus den toom

I tried to find similair examples on the web.. acording to the authors on these web pages this kind of powder tester was also in use in the 18th century, but the style differs from Fernando's powder tester and the truthfullness about these claims might be clouded by the sellers "ambition"
I did find a nice website though (pitt rivers museum).

http://web.prm.ox.ac.uk/weapons/inde...359/index.html

http://merzantiques.com/item/very-unusual-powder-tester ( http://www.icollector.com/17th-centu...ture_i11291595 )

http://www.icollector.com/Early-powd...rule_i11291691

Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Thanks a lot, Marcus,

For searching (and finding!) this excellent material!

Could you please post here on the forum the respective images and descriptions in the links you found? I am requesting this considering the fact that many links tend to vanish from the web each day, so we would all be glad to find the material documented here.

Thanks again, and best wishes,
Michael