Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th May 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
kronckew

Default for those who travel?

i've had this one for a few years, but had thought it was not worth posting here, but after seeing a similar blade with three fullers in another thread, thought it might be worth laying before the judges here. any ideas as to what this might be?

found it on e-pray a few years back, one of my 1st. no scabbard.

grip scales appears to be bone or the 'I' word, blade is 30in. along the curve, 28in. (nagasa) chord measured straight point to guard, 3 in (sori) rise from chord to the spine in the middle. blade is 1 1/8in. wide at the grip, tapering to 1" wide at midpoint & the rest of the way down to the false edged part.

the blade is .207in. thick at the grip, .192 in. at the start of the false edged section (last 8 in. of the blade) where it then tapers down over about 2in. to an unsharpened false edge for the final 6 in. to the tip. edge is sharp all the way back to the grip, no unsharpened ricasso area like in a tulwar. cross section is an acute triangle - sides are flat spine to edge, spine is flat. edge is very sharp.

the grip is cast brass or bronze decorated in an inscribed floral pattern. the grip is worn as tho well used. the blade has etched zig-zag patterns inside the fullers, with the wider fuller showing what might have been some sort of writing, but is unintelligible due to polishing, tho the edges of the fullers are fairly crisp and not rounded off. the blade is firmly fixed into the grip with some form of cutler's rosin, and is a tan color. no other stamps or other informative markings i've found.

edited: just noticed the lower (finger side) brass strap section of the grip is inscribed in a floral pattern, but the top (palm side) section is actually a snake, pointy tail at the guard, with snake scales to full strap width at the pommel which has some indistinct worn markings that may have been a snakes head.

Last edited by kronckew; 28th May 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: postscript:
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote