Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Garab Pattern

nine out of ten, whenever i see a blade that has those rough, horizontal grind lines, i tend to think "no way this blade is laminated". on top of that, it's visayan, which in a way, doesn't normally use laminated steel.
well, my vacation started today and with nothing to do, i decided to clean a garab i've had for awhile. the blade was covered with a thin coat of cosmoline, so i decided to work on this. beneath the coat, i can see those deep horizontal grooves which was no big deal. what attracted me with this particular piece is that it's complete, save for the talismanic button at the base of the scabbard. also, i thought it was rather neat that the handle has a nice contrast to the scabbard (yes, the scabbard is original to the sword as far as i can tell). also, this piece is a beast. with just the blade at 20 1/2" long, the thickness closest to the handle is 1/2"! needless to say, it feels awkward, but hey, whoever owned this originally prolly knew what he was doing.
anyway, back to the blade:
as i was stripping the cosmoline with hot running water, i noticed that i could see some lines popping out, so i went ahead and etched the blade. i couldn't believe the lamination pattern that was coming out. i etched the spine as well. never would've thought i'd see this much layer on a sword's spine.
well, enjoy!
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Spunjer

garab sheathed. ain't she purty?
Attached Images

Old 24th December 2013, 01:18 AM   #3
CharlesS

May be the nicest, most complete and pretty one I have ever seen.

Congrats!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 04:46 AM   #4
Sajen

Stunning garab! Do you going to replace the eye at end of the scabbard?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a great piece! I'm so happy for you (grumble, grumble ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
kino

Good looking sword. I've ran across very few Visayan swords that were subtly laminated, unlike yours which has a prominent pattern. It's odd that it would have a hilt hewn from a wood that is different from the scabbard.

Here is another one that is almost in proportion to yours. OAL 25-1/4", blade 19-1/2", 3/8" thick.

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking my photos to yours.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
It's odd that it would have a hilt hewn from a wood that is different from the scabbard.
Actually Kai not really. I have one about the same size and blade profile as Spunger's, with the scabbard wood of narra wood and the hilt of a different color wood, more a lighter and yellower wood.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Ferguson

Spunjer,
That is one of the most beautiful and graceful swords that I have ever seen.
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Spunjer

Thank you all, and Merry Christmas! she is indeed a beauty. no bling to speak of but as Ferguson said, she's very graceful...
Quote:
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking my photos to yours.
have at it, Kino. it would be nice to see the subtle differences on these not so common weapons. i notice that you have the straighter spine variety. i would assume that yours would feel balance whereas mine is just so dam awkward to hold. feels like holding a handgun with a 20 inch barrel.
Quote:
Do you going to replace the eye at end of the scabbard?
Detlef, probably not since i'm not quite sure what type of material was used. does anyone know???

Last edited by Spunjer; 26th December 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 25th December 2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
Detlef, probably not since i'm not quite sure what type of material was used. does anyone know???
I have seen different material used for the "eye", for my one (also restored) was used black and white horn. Look here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=talibon

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 25th December 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 25th December 2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Spunjer

thanks for the link, Detlef! wow, yours look so natural! i've seen those "eye" before and i thought it was just half spheres. didn't realize it has a base. i like how yours looks like it's been there all along.
here's a closeup the scabbard toe. from the way it looks, it never had that eye before, and if it did, it must have disappeared in the early years.
Attached Images

Old 25th December 2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
thanks for the link, Detlef! wow, yours look so natural! i've seen those "eye" before and i thought it was just half spheres. didn't realize it has a base. i like how yours looks like it's been there all along.
here's a closeup the scabbard toe. from the way it looks, it never had that eye before, and if it did, it must have disappeared in the early years.
My one have looked without very similar, like lost already very early, maybe some weren't attached very strong or attached with resin which become dry and cant hold the pin anymore? I have done some research how it may have looked before do the restauration. I think when there is a hole it have had an eye. But it is your choise to add one or not.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 25th December 2013, 07:25 PM   #13
kino

My previous photos didn't turn out well. That's what I get shooting indoors, under incandescent light and flash.
This photo shows the color contrast between hilt and scabbard color, better I hope.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 06:59 AM   #14
jwkiernan

Default Now I am tempted....

Wow Ron, beautiful piece! Also a very nice piece Kino! I have attached a picture of mine...a wee bit shorter in the blade department at 17 1/2", but the spine by the handle is 1/2 ".

After seeing yours I am curious if this one is laminated...please pardon my photography skills (or lack there of)! Merry Christmas to you all!

All my best,

John
Attached Images

jwkiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Montino Bourbon

Here's a few shots of mine; I think it's more a “country” style. 22 inches long, very beefy blade, handle with some kind of animal design, blade is beveled on one side and is very sharp. It stays one quarter-inch thick until the last quarter of the blade; it's a very heavy blade. Certainly adequate to cut through heavy brush and branches, I'm sure that it would work fine as a weapon.
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkiernan
Wow Ron, beautiful piece! Also a very nice piece Kino! I have attached a picture of mine...a wee bit shorter in the blade department at 17 1/2", but the spine by the handle is 1/2 ".

After seeing yours I am curious if this one is laminated...please pardon my photography skills (or lack there of)! Merry Christmas to you all!

All my best,

John
Nice example John. It seems that it has just the style of "eye" I have given mine example. Maybe you can post a close up from it?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 26th December 2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Spunjer

thanks for everyone's excellent example!
kino, your second picture turned out great! seems to be the contrasting handle/scabbard is more common. it does look good tho. even John's example seems to be contrasting as well..
John, you should try etching yours, you never know! like i said, i never expected mine to be laminated. easiest way to find out would be the "hot water test" (strip oil then run the blade under hot water. if it's laminated, you'll see the lamination appear before your eyes). also, thanks for the scabbard shot. the "eye" is very similar to Detlef's talibon.
Montino, the pommel on yours is an enigma. i had a similar pommel before, but it didn't have the eyes and mouth. looking at the overall picture, it could be a snake type creature (naga or bakunawa?)
Detlef, what i'm concern about is the purpose of these so-called eyes. perhaps, it's just that, a decoration, but with all the symbolism and mysticism of that time period, especially with the Pulahanes cult, it could be something that the original owner have to earn, like his rank within the group. or perhaps an anting-anting (magical amulet) granted by the leader? it's a fact that the Pulahanes were given some type of oraciones (a mystical incantation) written in a piece of paper given to them by the leader before going to a battle to render them invincible, so perhaps these eyes would be a variation? a pre-drilled hole on the scabbard's toe would be logical just in case they get awarded with an anting-anting
Old 26th December 2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Sajen

Quote:
Detlef, what i'm concern about is the purpose of these so-called eyes. perhaps, it's just that, a decoration, but with all the symbolism and mysticism of that time period, especially with the Pulahanes cult, it could be something that the original owner have to earn, like his rank within the group. or perhaps an anting-anting (magical amulet) granted by the leader? it's a fact that the Pulahanes were given some type of oraciones (a mystical incantation) written in a piece of paper given to them by the leader before going to a battle to render them invincible, so perhaps these eyes would be a variation? a pre-drilled hole on the scabbard's toe would be logical just in case they get awarded with an anting-anting
Yes Ron, good possible since I have seen some without this "eye". Even my one seems never has had one when I get it.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 26th December 2013, 06:31 PM   #19
VVV

Thanks for an interesting thread about my favorite Visayan sword.
I can only add that several of my garab do have contrasting wood and color on their handles and scabbards.
Here is the most extreme one.

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 09:18 PM   #20
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY NICE EXAMPLES, IT SEEMS I REMEMBER SOME FORUM MEMBER REPLACEING A LOST EYE ON HIS EXAMPLE IN A OLDER POST.
I THINK THIS EYE AS WELL AS STYLE OF CARVING MAY BE REGIONAL, AS WELL AS HAVING SOME TAILSMAN POWER OR MEANING. THE CARVING REMINDS ME OF SOME ON EXAMPLES FROM SAMAR ISLAND. THE AMOUNT OF CARVING AS WELL AS THE STYLE OFTEN SEEM TO VARY FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND AS WELL AS TRIBE TO TRIBE AND TIME PERIODS. TOO BAD WE DON'T HAVE A CHART PINNING IT ALL DOWN.
HERE ARE A FEW VARIATIONS FROM MY PICTURE FILES I HOPE I DON'T DUPLICATE SOMEONES SWORD.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 26th December 2013 at 11:08 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 10:23 PM   #21
kronckew

they are of course still being made. i don't find mine handles too badly. however, once you commit to a strike, it has a mind of it's own and is more difficult to change direction than say, my pinute or ginunting, etc.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 11:46 PM   #22
jwkiernan

Default Closeups

Here are a couple close-up photo's of the toe and "eye"...beautiful blades one and all!

Best regards,

John
Attached Images

jwkiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:29 AM   #23
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkiernan
Here are a couple close-up photo's of the toe and "eye"...beautiful blades one and all!

Best regards,

John
Hello John,

thank you very much!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 27th December 2013, 12:31 AM   #24
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Thanks for an interesting thread about my favorite Visayan sword.
I can only add that several of my garab do have contrasting wood and color on their handles and scabbards.
Here is the most extreme one.

Michael
Very nice and unusual example, thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 27th December 2013, 12:39 AM   #25
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
VERY NICE EXAMPLES, IT SEEMS I REMEMBER SOME FORUM MEMBER REPLACEING A LOST EYE ON HIS EXAMPLE IN A OLDER POST.

HERE ARE A FEW VARIATIONS FROM MY PICTURE FILES I HOPE I DON'T DUPLICATE SOMEONES SWORD.
Hello Barry,

you remember correct, this was my one, it is also shown by you, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=talibon
No problem that you have shown it again!

The most interesting example you have shown is the second one, I am unsure if we can call it talibon.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 27th December 2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 27th December 2013, 01:34 AM   #26
Sajen

And here a thread where some more nice examples was shown: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=talibon
Old 27th December 2013, 05:17 AM   #27
VANDOO
(deceased)

ONE MORE SIMULAR EXAMPLE EXCEPT FOR THE METAL FERRULE.
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2013, 12:28 PM   #28
Spunjer

excellent garabs! Michael, love that dual tone handle! Barry, that's the first time i've seen an "umbrella hook" handle look alike! was it shaped like that originally and wasn't reshaped later on?
here's a garab that i believe is still on display at Musee du Quai Branly in France. what makes it so unique is the handle, which is carved from carabao horn similar to those floriated knives from Luzon. a truly unique merge!
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2013, 05:52 PM   #29
VVV

Very interesting hybride, Ron.
Unfortunately, it wasn't exhibited when I was at Quai Branly in early March
Here is another oddball revolutionary and XL Garab.

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 06:06 PM   #30
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

SPUNGER THE EXAMPLE YOU SHOW WITH THE INLAYED BLADE IS SIMULAR TO THE ONE I SHOW IN MY POST ABOVE WITH 12 ITEMS IT IS PICTURE #7 AND HAS AN OPENWORK CARVED SCABBARD WITH SILVER BAND AS WELL AS A INLAYED BLADE. SORRY THE PICTURE IS SO BAD BUT IT IS ALL I HAVE. I AGREE IT WAS LIKELY MADE BY THE SAME ONES MAKING THE FANCY BOLOS ON LUSON VERY LIKELY DURING THE SPANISH OCCUPATION PERIOD. THE UNBRELLA HOOK GARAB WAS MADE THAT WAY AND NOT RECARVED FROM A BROKEN HANDLE. I HAVE NO IDEA OF ITS ORIGIN OTHER THAN PHILIPPINES.
VVV THE EXAMPLE YOU SHOW IS VERY FINE I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE MONSTER AT THE METAL TOE OF THE SCABBARD AND HAVING A DATE AND WRITING TO BOOT.
THIS IS TURNING INTO A GOOD REFRENCE KEEP THEM COMMING