Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Sokoto,Kano or Bornu?

I came across this today. I have cleaned the blade. Pristine has no cutting edges which is not unusual. Strange large hilt, would only really work as a personal defensive puncturing dagger. I know this may not be officially antique but the Sultans were not toppled untill 1906 and sporadic trouble up to the 1920s. The armies of the Sultanates were basically armed in a medieval manner.

There is a foot note in "History of Nigeria" Sir Alan Burns, first published 1929

"As late as the year 1916 the Montoils killed and ate a British official"
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Some interesting links that illustrate how problematic area and tribal attribution can be.
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0016-7398(190610)28%3A4%3C368%3AJINN%3E2.0.CO%3B2-P
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0368-4016(190807)7%3A28%3C374%3ANOTTOT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-R

I do not know why the links will not work looking with a glass at the knife one can see that it does indeed have some age to it.
Old 25th September 2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

These two weapons clearly come from the same region. The bulbous leather covered pommel quite different from those that end with small brass or aluminium knob. Thinking about the small weapon and fantasy fighting with it. I have changed my mind about its effectiveness. Held in a basic hammer hold with the blade up or down facing, at close quarters and thumping with the pommel it could be a very aggresive weapon. Also very pretty.
Attached Images