Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th February 2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Marcokeris

Default A sekin

When I bought this sekin the seller told me it comes not from Sumatra but from a hight-rank Sulawesi bugis pirate. Could be this assertion true (I always red on books sekin sekin are sumatran weapons )?
Please opinions about from Forum's friend are welcome.

This sekin is very balanced .... could be used as a funny balance .
The hilt is made by ivory (sea?) while the sheat is made by two bufalo horn's pieces connected by three silver pieces.
The blade is really very sharp, hard and pointed.
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Marcokeris

Sorry here the photo
Attached Images

Old 5th February 2007, 01:55 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

That's sweet! And the balance is remarkable. I would agree that the hilt is sea ivory of some sort based on the color. I don't know much about these, but if i ran across it with no available info my first impression would be Sumatran. It seems i have seen that same vegetal pattern on other Sumatran blades. But i wouldn't dismiss Sulawesi as an origin either. Nice score.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 06:20 PM   #4
kai

Thumbs up

Very nice piece!

However, IMHO it's not a sekin - this gives more credence to a Sulawesi origin though...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Very nice piece!

However, IMHO it's not a sekin - this gives more credence to a Sulawesi origin though...

Regards,
Kai
I think it is a sekin for tha base of the blade near the handle (a guard on a side) and for the grooves along the blade too.
The form of weapon and sheat is rather similar to sekin's picture in Stone and Zonneveld's books.
In Holstein book there is a picture of Sumatran sekin with the same ring around the handle and also the handle is very similar.
(Anyway indian influence is stong)
Old 6th February 2007, 11:42 PM   #6
kai

Quote:
I think it is a sekin for tha base of the blade near the handle (a guard on a side) and for the grooves along the blade too.
The form of weapon and sheat is rather similar to sekin's picture in Stone and Zonneveld's books.
Well, there are more blades with extended&carved base (rencong, etc.) and fancy fullers (quite a few from Sumatra, rarer elsewhere...). Actually, some Batak weapons have similar features but IMVHO yours isn't Batak either.

Have a close look at the extended base of some typical sekin:
I'm attaching pics of a sekin I got from Charles (I hope he doesn't mind me recycling his pics ).

Here's another thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2451

And here are 2 examples from Michael's great collection: http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php

Also note that the fullers are different and that the blade tends to be slender (quite like a rencong).

Quote:
In Holstein book there is a picture of Sumatran sekin with the same ring around the handle and also the handle is very similar.
Can you send a pic - I don't have that one handy. I assume you mean a ferrule? While all typical sekin I've seen didn't had any I wouldn't be too surprised to find a genuine example with ferrule, especially in a piece for someone of status like yours.

I remember having seen a pic of something resembling your piece - I'll try to locate it again and let you know.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

Old 7th February 2007, 12:43 AM   #7
Newsteel

I do not know about sekin but that looks awesome. Good buy!
I do agree with Kai. Looking at this also, the whole may have some bits of Bugis, Sulewesi and Sumatra.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 09:23 AM   #8
Marcokeris

Kai
Here i put the picture of Holstein's book.
Unfortunately in the plate there is only the weapon inside the sheat but the description of table (in french) says it is a sekin from sumatra.
Really my blade is a mix with other subjects (badik, golok,..), mybe the seller could be right.
Attached Images

Old 9th February 2007, 12:04 AM   #9
kai

Quote:
Here i put the picture of Holstein's book.
Unfortunately in the plate there is only the weapon inside the sheat but the description of table (in french) says it is a sekin from sumatra.
Thanks, Marco!

Ok, I see the similarity of the hilt and, possibly, of the minor bulge at the scabbard mouth. OTOH, this scabbard is quite different and your blade type wouldn't fit into it...

Also, I highly doubt that the piece shown really is a sekin (sekin I as defined in van Zonneveld). Could be a misidentification by Holstein, a similar name transliterated into "sekin", or the "same" name used for a different beast on the other slope of the mountains...

Those "true" sekin I've seen all came with scabbards as also used for sewar (and similar) blades.

I'd be very interested to see the blade of the piece illustrated by Holstein though...

Regards,
Kai