Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 10th November 2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Kerja

Default XVI century wheellock pistol, help with more precise dating

Here is another archeological find from Wenden (Cesis) castle form Latvia. It is all metal belt matchlock pistol. I presume it was made at about 1550 or so, but will be very glad for any ahoughts about more precise dating of the object and any additional information about it's possible origin.
Attached Images

Kerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Marcus den toom

The pommel headed grips of this pistol denote a period of at least after 1560's.. i would even say 1570 or even later since the styles where first adopted within Germany and there after spreaded to the european world. Sadly no eligble marking is clear enough anymore, this would make it easier to determine where it was made and by who (and also when).

Best,
Marcus
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Becoming an expert, Marcus ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Marcus den toom

heheh, not really an expert at all, but the styles of the butstock of pistols was some what like, dagger griped (1520-30's), fish tail(1540-50s), pommel grip....
And on a side note, the first dated pommelgrip wheellock pistol that comes to my mind is that of the saxon electorate Augustus I of 1586 and its predecesors Christian I and II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tors_of_Saxony
There are of course countless better examples and i will try to find them in my archives.

And one must also admit that there is kind of a void recently....
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 11:35 AM   #5
cornelistromp

Marcus, it is not my comfort field but I think you are spot on with the date of 1570 or later.

Hermann Historica 64th auction
Lot Nr. 40
A small German all-metal wheellock "Puffer",
circa 1580. Two-stage barrel, octagonal then round, with smooth bore in 11 mm calibre and swamped muzzle. Iron wheellock with leaf-shaped openwork wheel cover made of brass. Smooth brass full stock with ball pommel, engraved dragon and border on the side plate. Original, iron ramrod. The iron parts have been reworked and are slightly corroded in some parts. Length 24 cm

and
A VERY RARE SUPERIMPOSED LOAD GERMAN WHEELLOCK BELT PISTOL DATED 1609, SIGNED VK, PROBABLY
FOR VALENTIN KLETT OF SUHL, with an almost similar button to open the pommel.

and a couple, not a pair, of pistols with the most similarities with the excavated pistol of post#1 , Augsburg 1580, Museum Dresden

I hope Michael logs in at the forum again, of course he is able to date this pistol very accurate.
Michael?

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 11th November 2014 at 03:49 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Raf

The most significant thing about this find might well turn out to be the humble lump of pyrites itself. Assuming that is that pyrites was unearthed with the gun . Pyrites varies hugely in its form and virtually nothing is known about the type of pyrites used in wheelock firearms . Or in what form it was used. Almost looks in this example as if it has been roughly shaped by grinding ? It would be good if a mineralogist could analyse the sample ; test its hardness and comment on its crystalline structure. May sound like silly detail but the quality of pyrites has a significant effect on the operational efficiency of wheelock firearms and the assumption is that specific types were sought for their superior fire striking qualities .

Last edited by Raf; 11th November 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote