Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Queequeg

Default What is this weapon?

Hello. Been a while since I posted.

If there are any Mad Max fans here, I have a question: does anyone have any idea what the bodyguard twirling in "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome" at 3:09 in this video? (always loved this song, by the way). It looks like knives on the ends of lanyards, or something (?).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiWuUAFI0ps

It looks similar in use to the small kamas on chains which the Merovingian's henchman is using in this scene from "Matrix Reloaded" at 1:11.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneP5v7p71E

Hoping somebody here knows as there is no shortage of folk here with all kinds of knowledge of obscure weaponry. Thanks in advance.
Queequeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 07:56 PM   #2
katana

Hi Queequeg,
the 'clip' is so quick it is difficult to see clearly. Judging by the movements of the arms etc I would say they are a form of 'nunchuku'.

By the way, 'Moby Dick' is one of my favorite classic stories

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Atlantia

If you want a better look at them then look at this clip (58 seconds in)
Thunderdome clip

Its one of the clips thats always in trailers for MM3, the mohawk henchman blowing the bits of feathers away when Max gives him a haircut with the sawn-off got a huge laugh in the cinema when I saw it back in the day.
As for your question, the blades are like long Kerambits on fine chains/swivels.
Imagine Freddy's claws detached and hung.
Interesting but more form than function.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Queequeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Queequeg,
the 'clip' is so quick it is difficult to see clearly. Judging by the movements of the arms etc I would say they are a form of 'nunchuku'.

By the way, 'Moby Dick' is one of my favorite classic stories

Regards David
Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to find a better clip of that weapon. I know that in the film there is more to this scene, but I don't have any video upload capability.

I'm hoping that maybe someone could tell what they are based on the guy's movements. Or, better yet, maybe someone has used them in some kind of kung fu training.

I get the impression of blades on short chains, but I can't be sure.
Old 20th August 2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Queequeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
If you want a better look at them then look at this clip (58 seconds in)
Thunderdome clip

Its one of the clips thats always in trailers for MM3, the mohawk henchman blowing the bits of feathers away when Max gives him a haircut with the sawn-off got a huge laugh in the cinema when I saw it back in the day.
As for your question, the blades are like long Kerambits on fine chains/swivels.
Imagine Freddy's claws detached and hung.
Interesting but more form than function.
Wow! Right when I was posting that I couldn't find any good clips! Nice job and thank-you.

As for form and function, that's my initial impression, too. However, I've seen some Chinese martial artists use rather unusual weapons with surprisingly and seemingly good effects.
Old 20th August 2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Queequeg

That was a really good clip! I was able to hit the pause and get a clear shot of what they were.

By the way, this is my second favorite scene in the film, starting at 00:19.
Old 20th August 2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Atlantia

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to locate them in 'reality'. From a propmasters POV the 2nd and 3rd MM movie were a complete joy as many of the weapons were adapted or scratch built. A real challenge for the armourers for sure!
After the success of the first movie, the second was very much expanded and included some fantastic functioning improvised weapons. My personal favourite was 'The Mighty Wizz' arm mounted crossbow with 'push down' attached cocking lever. The third movie got the hollywood treatment in terms of buget, so the improvised 'post apocalypse' array of weapons is huge! I think the chained blades are just a great example of a weapon desigend and made for the movie.

If you DO want to hunt them down, then you could register on:
http://propreplicas.yuku.com/
And ask over there (I'm 'Battlestar Atlantia' over there).
BTW, fav scene? at 0.19? The little plane?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Queequeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to locate them in 'reality'. From a propmasters POV the 2nd and 3rd MM movie were a complete joy as many of the weapons were adapted or scratch built. A real challenge for the armourers for sure!
After the success of the first movie, the second was very much expanded and included some fantastic functioning improvised weapons. My personal favourite was 'The Mighty Wizz' arm mounted crossbow with 'push down' attached cocking lever. The third movie got the hollywood treatment in terms of buget, so the improvised 'post apocalypse' array of weapons is huge! I think the chained blades are just a great example of a weapon desigend and made for the movie.

If you DO want to hunt them down, then you could register on:
http://propreplicas.yuku.com/
And ask over there (I'm 'Battlestar Atlantia' over there).
BTW, fav scene? at 0.19? The little plane?
Thanks for all of the information.

I'm sorry, I forgot to put in the link in my previous message. My favorite scene was at 00:19 in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOauBA6exQ

They just keep coming, and coming, and coming...