Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th April 2018, 08:22 PM   #1
drac2k

Default 3 Philippine Swords

I recently acquired these 3 swords.The first was purchased in Baltimore which was identified by Rick and confirmed by Battera, Ron, and his friend as a Mandaya Bolo.This was my first and I was greatly impressed by it's elegant form.
The next 2 came together and I'm not sure of what they are called or how old they are.At first, I thought the kris to be WW2 or later, but now I'm not so sure; it truly is a sword as the razor sharp blade measures approx. 22" long and 2" wide.There is evidence that there has been blade contact against this sword; now whether it was in combat, martial arts practice or some idiot playing "Star Wars," I can not say.It has a simple brass guard, a horn handle and the tang appears to be peened.I now would guess this weapon to be WW2 or older.
The last sword is another question mark.The horn handle and the collar are familiar to me and I have seen a few examples of the scarce guard, however, the heavy, sharp blade(approx.22" long, 1.5" at it's widest and almost 3/8" at the base of the spine, is a form unfamiliar to me.The sword blade angle to the handle and the weight and the balance make this primarily a chopping implement.When one holds it, it almost feels like it wants to cleave on it's own.I would guess this sword to be from 1900 to WW2.
Any information would be helpful.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 02:56 AM   #2
kai

Smile

Hello David,

Quote:
I recently acquired these 3 swords.The first was purchased in Baltimore which was identified by Rick and confirmed by Battera, Ron, and his friend as a Mandaya Bolo.This was my first and I was greatly impressed by it's elegant form.
The next 2 came together and I'm not sure of what they are called or how old they are.
Nice - I'd be very interested to see the Mandaya blade etched! (Just in case anybody wonders: It's the blade with pronounced belly and scabbard at the bottom of the pics. )

What is the weight of the sword and max. thickness at the base?

The other straight blade pretty much looks like a Luzon version of the ginunting. First half of the 20th century seems about right for all the pieces IMHO.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 04:41 AM   #3
drac2k

The Mandaya's max. thickness is approx. 1/16" on the beveled spine and the thickness after the bevel is approx.5/16".; the blade measures 15.5" long and
2 5/8" at its widest.
Thanks for the info.on the other blades.
Old 11th April 2018, 01:56 AM   #4
kai

Thanks for the specs, David!

Quote:
The Mandaya's max. thickness is approx. 1/16" on the beveled spine and the thickness after the bevel is approx.5/16"
How thick is the lower (unsharpened) bevel?

Within the period, I'd be inclined to believe that the wavy "kris" blade might be the earliest, the "ginunting" possibly a bit later, and the Mandaya the youngest of the lot.

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 11th April 2018 at 02:06 PM.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 04:39 AM   #5
drac2k

I should have clarified that the edge of the bevel of 1/8" on the spine is at the base; after 5" it tapers down to an edge of about 1/64".
On the bottom the max. width is at the 1st notch of about 1/8";3/4" after the 2nd notch, it becomes very sharp.
Thanks again for the info.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi drac:

I pretty much agree with Kai. The top one is a ginunting, most likely Central Luzon (possibly Pampangan or Ilokano). The second one is an Ilokano "kris." The third one is Mandayan. Based on the materials and styles, I think all three are likely mid-20th C +/- a decade.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 01:46 PM   #7
drac2k

The ginunting ( I didn't know what it was until kai identified it), I tend to think that it is older than mid-century for several reasons. The definition that I found for this item was as a jungle machete, however, in my estimation, it is too heavy to be practical for this use.Next, the item is simple, but very well made and not with aluminum fittings, but with brass and copper and I believe that the mid-century ones tended to be smaller and the guard done away with.The workmanship of the handle and the guard is also consistent with other examples of early 20th century swords that I have encountered.
The Ilokano Kris(thanks for identifying it), I have no problem with the age you ascribed it, however, I wouldn't be surprised if it dated significantly older.
In regards to the Mandayan Bolo(Also a first for me until Rick, Ron, and Battera told me what it was), is startling to hear the general consensus that it is the newest of the three.To me, the quality and the simple beauty of the blade, which to me is one of the most elegant forms that I have held, to be made by a wartime smith or after is unexpected.
Thanks for comments and imput !
Old 11th April 2018, 10:40 PM   #8
Sajen

Hello Drac2k,

you got a really good Mandaya bolo in very good condition, when you ever get tired to look at it.....

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 04:46 AM   #9
drac2k

Thanks, Detlef; I had never seen one before(didn't even know what it was), until it walked up to me with various other items and the guy asked me if I wanted to buy them.