Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th March 2018, 03:46 PM   #1
F. de Luzon

Default Maguindanao Kris with Fine Okir Hilt and Ivory Pommel

Hello all! Here's a Maguindano kris with fine okir on the hilt, and an ivory pommel. As you can see, the pommel looks very old. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 30th March 2018 at 11:16 AM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 03:50 PM   #2
kronckew

Cool, High class Datu warrior's weapon, love the etch showing the lamination/inserted hard edge.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 03:53 PM   #3
F. de Luzon

Hi Kronckew,

I'll post some close-ups of the blade for you tomorrow. Thanks for your insights.

Fernando
Old 29th March 2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a nice piece!

Actually I would say that the blade is Maguindanao, while the hilt is Maranao or made by a Maranao craftsman (based on the Maranao okir). This is not unheard of since these tribal areas were next to each other.

Also it looks like the surface of the orange bands of the hilt are made of suassa.

Is there a scabbard?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 04:43 PM   #5
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
What a nice piece!

Actually I would say that the blade is Maguindanao, while the hilt is Maranao or made by a Maranao craftsman (based on the Maranao okir). This is not unheard of since these tribal areas were next to each other.

Also it looks like the surface of the orange bands of the hilt are made of suassa.

Is there a scabbard?

Hi Battara,

I was wondering if that hilt was Maranao. It comes with a Sulu style scabbard. So, it's a Maguindanao blade with a Maranao hilt and Sulu scabbard. Is it a cross over?

Regarding the hilt, I cleaned it and it turned white, almost like silver, then went back to this color after a few months. Is that a characteristic of swassa?

Thank you!

Fernando
Old 29th March 2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh I see...........well it might not be suassa then, but a silver/copper mix to look like suassa. It will take testing by a jeweler to be sure which one.

Please post the scabbard so I can better determine if Sulu or what.

Crossovers are not unheard of........
Old 30th March 2018, 11:17 AM   #7
F. de Luzon

Here are some close ups of the blade.
Attached Images

Old 30th March 2018, 11:29 AM   #8
F. de Luzon

Hi Battara,

Below are pictures of the scabbard. The first one is the one it came with. I think it's a Sulu type. The mouth of the scabbard is slightly wider than the width of the gangya.

The second one is the scabbard of another kris that actually fits perfectly. It fits this blade much better than the one it came with. Since it's also a Sulu type, I kind of like it together. What do you think?

I hope to have the metal on the hilt tested soon and I'll let you know as soon as I have an update on that.

Thank you.

Fernando
Attached Images

Old 30th March 2018, 11:50 PM   #9
CharlesS

Lovely kriss!

The holes along the spine of the pommel and they nearly straight line of dark patina there make we wonder if there was a silver or suassa band across the top.

Battara, your thoughts?

Last edited by CharlesS; 31st March 2018 at 02:05 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Regarding the patina around the top and back of the pommel, I was looking at that and have hesitated to comment. I think Charles that it is likely that there was a silver (I doubt true suassa) strap around the pommel. Thanks for pointing out the holes (I had to look a littler harder to see what you were talking about).

Regarding the scabbards: both were made later than the kris itself. The first one was made perhaps in the 1990s(?) and is not Sulu but looks more Maguindanao. The second scabbard is perhaps from the 1960s-1980s(?) and Sulu (based on the style of the scabbard as a whole). However the cloth mansala might be Maguindanao (need to see more of it).

However, glad to see some lamination in the blade. This for me definitely places the kris in the late 19th - early 20th century.
Old 31st March 2018, 03:10 AM   #11
F. de Luzon

I was wondering about those holes and the dark patina, CharlesS. Thanks for pointing it out.

Salamat sa insights, Battara. I'm happy to know it came with a Maguindanao scabbard.

I've noticed that nicer scabbards (hardwood with okir/ukkil on brass rings) are usually later additions. They are heavier and more decorative compared to the evidently older scabbards that some of my krisses came with. Usually the older ones are no frills and practical. I think I'll start another thread on this.