Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd November 2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Dimasalang

Default Added some eyes to my Kampilan

The eyes or buttons or what ever you want to call it were missing from my sword. So I decided to pimp my Kampi. Originally I would of liked to add some real Moro style buttons, but where on Gods green earth am I going to find any 100year old Moro buttons? I decided to do the next best thing(got the idea from one of Spunjers Kampis..thanks bro!). I went out and bought a couple US Colonial Philippine Pesos from the early century. Drilled some holes in them. Finished it off with a couple small brass pins and hammered them in to the hilt with a rubber mallet. Fit like a glove and near flush with size of the eyelits on the hilt. I picked 1911 and 1913 coins specifically...1911 being the year when Pershing issued the disarmament of the Moros...and 1913 in regards to the last battle with the Moros at Mt Bud Bagsak. I initially wanted 1906 for the battle at Mt Bud Dajo, but I found out there were no 1906 peso.

Before:

After:

Looks like it says 1918, but it is 1913. To me the hilt now looks less bare and more complete.

Anybody know how to make the iron guards for the crossguard??
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Atlantia

looks great!
The iron guard shouldn't be much of a problem. Blowtorch, vice, something to cannibalise.....
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

They also made them out of brass. I have made some in the past out of brass.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 03:48 AM   #4
kino

Good job Dimasalang.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Dimasalang

Thanks guys! Were do you get iron rods that are the same size and shape?

Battera, how did you make them out of brass? Id really like to add some guards on both sides. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Spunjer

great job, kev! so where did you ended up finding them brass pins???
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Dimasalang

^^^
Thanks!
I found the brass pins at Michaels(arts and craft store). They are the pins for small picture frames or jewelry box hinges. I thought they would be too small, but for $1.50 it didn't hurt to test them out. When I lined them up, the diameter and length were perfect...seemed like these were the exact same size pins that were originally used. Id say the pins looked to be a about 1/4 inch long(I'll have to measure them later). They went in to the hole about half way and it took little effort to hit them in, not lose in anyway, they are in there snug and very tight. I was at Walmart the other day, and saw the same hinge and pins there also...so you can check your nearest Walmart also. lol

If anybody else wants some pesos dated 1913, let me know. I bought a set of 8 just so I can pick out the best one(they weren't too expensive anyway). I don't think I need the others for anything else.
Old 24th November 2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Dimasalang,
Great job !! Those coins really make a difference in how it looks. I can't wait to see it when you get the guard pieces in place. Iron rods you should be able to pick up at any place that makes wrought iron gates or window covers. Brass rods should be able to be picked up at just about any welding supply store. If you use brass be sure to bend it cold.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Dimasalang,
Great job !! Those coins really make a difference in how it looks. I can't wait to see it when you get the guard pieces in place. Iron rods you should be able to pick up at any place that makes wrought iron gates or window covers. Brass rods should be able to be picked up at just about any welding supply store. If you use brass be sure to bend it cold.

Robert

Good tips!
Or you can cannibalise something if you want. Old tools are a good source or raw materials. Get to a car-bootsale or two. Garden fork or pitchfork. The rod that runs down the side of a long pruner.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote