Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th March 2019, 03:14 PM   #1
William Fox

Default Kaskara

I have cleaned this up and would love to know more about it. All opinions most welcome!

The blade has a short central fuller, with cross mounted orbs on either side of the blade. On one side is also a detailed symbol of a crouching lion, staring at some strange plant like object.

The scabbard has strips of reptile skin wrapped around it, not sure what this is, and the belt doesn't seem like normal leather.

Attached to the belt loop it something that looks like a 'cat o'nine tails' whip! Any views on this?

I welcome any opinions on the age of this sword, the region it might come from and significance of the embellishments.
Attached Images

William Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 03:19 PM   #2
William Fox

And more photos
Attached Images

Old 10th March 2019, 07:49 PM   #3
Edster

William,

The short fuller on your kaskara has been common on broadswords since the Viking era so that in itself is not indicative of age. The lion has not been identified as to maker/age, but is also shown in Fig. 13 (from Steven Wood) in my Kaskara Fuller Styles thread, link below. The other mark nearby is unknown to me.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...aker%27s+marks

The "cross & orb" is unlike and upside down from the standard Kull/German mark, c.1847, (Fig. 8), but looks more like the Funj "drum & sticks" mark (Fig.10) also from Steven Wood. The Funj marked their property, including animals and even slaves with that mark. The Funj Era ended in 1821, but your sword could have been marked virtually any time before. The fact that its size is larger than the Kull, upside down and not centered in the fuller heavily suggests to me that it was added after manufacture and likely in the field.

Hopefully, others can add more on the lion and whatever marks as well.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 11:19 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As far as I can relate, this is a kaskara from probably early 1900s, and the blade recalls earlier Solingen forms which were of course well known, and served as examples for workers such as in Kasalla to make their versions. This blade is of the type shown in "Kaskara from Northern Darfur, Sudan" ( Graham Reed, JAAS, Vol.XII #3 March 1987) example LII (p.167).

In Ed's treatise on these swords, one of the most detailed and exceptional reports I have ever read! the form is listed as 'Dukkeri abu Dubban' which has this type central fuller as well as three marks, two of which, the 'lion' and 'cross and orb' are seen here. The third mark seems to be a lily or flower of some sort.
Clearly the lion (resembling the Peter Kull rampant lion) and the cross and orb are native interpretations of these marks from Solingen.
These marks have nothing to do with makers, but more with talismanic and interpretive views in native lore, tradition and folk religion.

The cross and orb, considerably different than Solingen versions, seem to have been regarded by natives as a drum and sticks in some cases, in others a tree.

The geometric designs on the scabbard are well established styles seen on these scabbards, and apparently the wider the scabbard the older (according to Reed).

The leather cords, which seem to vary in number (some with 8 and up to 12) are of wrapped leather and hand free or are occasionally looped through carry rings. These were apparently additional trappings used in fixing the sword to either horse or camel mounts, and while attractive in appearance seem to have had genuine purpose.

This blade seems of early 20th c. and the mounts and scabbard from subsequent refurbishing as was typical with these swords. Leather wrap and the discoid pommel are typical, and reptile hide may have been used in variation, just as varying types of leather in scabbard and mounting straps.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 02:08 AM   #5
William Fox

Thanks Jim for such great information. I will read Ed's work this week. I do recall reading it some time ago, but clearly didn't retain the information as you have done!
Old 11th March 2019, 04:47 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Im glad I could add what I could here William, and I am always grateful to you and others who have posted these kaskara over the years. There are so many great discussions on these pages over the past two decades, and we have all learned so much together.

On these cross and orb, the true European examples are never placed at the forte of the blade, and the cross has equal arms, not flattened like this. While there were some European blades mounted in kaskara, many were quite old and had passed through many generations. The swordsmiths in Sudan became extremely skilled at crafting blades of European style, and adding their interpretations of the familiar markings on them.

Yours is a great example and as noted these braided lines suggest this to be a very good one with such a scabbard. Ed's work has been an invaluable work that has been constantly referred to by most of us here through the years, so it is ever present in discussions.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote