Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th August 2007, 04:02 AM   #1
rand

Default Kilij with square kufic inscriptions

http://turkishkilij1.blogspot.com/

Kilij from private collection, would like to open discussion on any aspect of this sword.

Have been comparing square kufic insciptions on Turkish blades. the Square kufic was used during the time of Muhammad and the Quran was originally written with it. Square kufic is also the only calligraphy ever used to entirely decorate the exterior of buildings.

Every so often there seems to have been a revival of of this type calligraphy used on blades. Some of the inscriptions are phrases from the Quran. Muhammad was the one who started the use of text to decorate weapons and armor for talismanic purposes in the Islamic empire.

If we look at early examples of venerated swords that were cared for with great respect, we see that inlay and encustration of gold was lavish.

The technique that was used for inlay on Turkish blades 16th century and earlier has not been documented yet as far as I know. But it may be the same overlapping triangular punch we have so many later examples of, metalworking traditions do carry on for centuries as long as there is demand for it.

If you know of documented early Turkish inlay techinques I would like that information.

Also am finding very few transaltions of 17th century and earlier Turkish cartouches and inscriptions, if you know of a reference for that let me know.

rand
Attached Images

Last edited by rand; 10th August 2007 at 07:01 AM.
rand is offline   Reply With Quote