Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 14th October 2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Cerjak

Default Burgonet helmet for id

Hi everybody this is my last buying and I would like to know more about this helmet ,I have seen a lot of burgonet pictures but I could not find similar exemplar in order to determinate origin and period .
I hope that I could find in this forum those information’s.
Any comment on it will be welcome
Regards
Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Cerjak

Default more photos

mores photos
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Cerjak

Default more pics

more pics
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2012, 05:46 PM   #4
A Senefelder

I would be interested in folks opinions on this as well. I have one of nearly identicle form, missing its cheek plates and with lots of rust. I've seen a number of this style on ebay over the last ten years ( there was one on just last month ) which has made me hesitant on dating/authenticating ( I paid next to nothing for mine so no tears if its not legit ). There is one of this style in Europäische Helme identified as being Flemish. Mine does not have as pronounced a crest/comb as this but otherwise is identicle. The rivets which should carry the leather lining band to which the helmet liner would be sewn just being flat piened, that is no cut washer to hold leather, simply piened flat to the inner surface of the metal has always given me pause as well. Looking forward to hearing folks thoughts.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Cerjak

Default EUROPAISCHE HELME

Thank you Senefelder
I had forgotten this book !
I 've found similar HELM n°76 German HELMET FROM THE 16 TH C.
But I could not read this german description from this helmet so if it could translated it will be fantastic.
Regards

Cerjak
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2012, 08:09 PM   #6
A Senefelder

#76 is exactly the helmet I was thinking of.
Old 2nd November 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
theswordcollector

Smile

Wonderful helmet 100% German .Nice to see a complete original piece
theswordcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 08:27 PM   #8
A Senefelder

Thread resurrection. This is the one I have, mentioned earlier in the thread. Due to the uncertainty of authenticity mentioned above i've never done anything with it beyond oiling. Said oiling has never made that odd orange rust patch ( looks like active rust ) go away, its always remained brighter in color but the metal is in the same condition as the darker " in active " rust. There is roping faintly visible along sections of the rolled and counter sunk borders. As mentioned earlier and visible in the profile picture there is nowhere near as pronounced a comb, in fact I would call what my helmet has more of a medial ridge.
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Cerjak

I Found some pictures from a very similar examplar said to be 16th century European Burgonet helmet circa 1550-1600
It is realy amazing for me to think that this two helmets had been in the same place few centuries ago...
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2013, 02:10 PM   #10
A Senefelder

Jean, excellent pics. I wondered how similar the missing cheek plates mine were to the ones your had, Maybe if I get a little free time ( free time whats that, who am I kidding ) i'll try making up a set of replacement cheek plates based on these pics to rest with the helmet ( just to sit beside it. It retains half the original hinges and I would not think of removing those ).
Old 10th May 2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Cerjak

Allan

If you need better pictures from the cheek plates let me know it will be for me a pleasure to send it to you

Kind regards

Cerjak
Old 22nd November 2015, 08:41 PM   #12
Cerjak

additional pictures
Attached Images

Old 29th December 2015, 02:53 AM   #13
elfina

Can I ask everybody's opinion as to how common they think repro/faked burgonets are? I would think that given that munition-grade genuine burgonets remain relatively common offerings at auctions; that they remain relatively moderately priced (I emphasize the words "relatively moderately"; of course individual budgets vary), and that any modern day armourer with the skills to turn out a realistic looking repro burgonet would find it more profitable to turn out even an honestly described repro of an earlier closed visor-type helmet, what would be the motivation for making repro/fake burgonets? The only thing that makes sense to me is possible market demand for replacement cheekpieces to make a genuinely old burgonet look like it is complete, the cheekpieces being the only faked parts.

Eric
elfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 11:06 AM   #14
A Senefelder

Quote:
and that any modern day armourer with the skills to turn out a realistic looking repro burgonet would find it more profitable to turn out even an honestly described repro of an earlier closed visor-type helmet, what would be the motivation for making repro/fake burgonets?
Elfina, as a recently retired reproduction armourer of about 20 years experience the opposite is true. A burgonet is a pretty complex bit of shaping and few but the upper end of expirience will try or do them. It's the reason there are so few reproductions of 16th and 17th century helmets available to the re-enactment market, burgs, armets, close helmets ect. are among the most complicated so few do them. I'm not saying there isn't some who might give it a go at faking an " original " but the type along with most 16th and 17th century types are not particularly come in the reproduction market due to their complexity.