Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2014, 03:23 AM   #1
Oliver Pinchot

Default Insights on unusual kampilan?

This kampilan ended on ebay today.
I found it interesting that the hilt is carved of banati wood (if that's the correct term.) Assuming for the sake of this discussion that the mounts are silver, and not some other white metal, what might one infer about it-- the quality, date, etc. The description said it was about 40" long with a 28" blade, I believe.
Ian wrote an outstanding typology on kampilan hilts awhile back (I think it was Ian?) Does anyone have a link to it? I look forward to learning something new.

The pics seem to be too large to upload, here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAMPILAN-MOR...p2047675.l2557
Attached Images

Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 05:00 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Oliver:

Thanks for posting this one. I had been following the auction and was outbid for it! Are you the lucky owner now?

I had exchanged emails with Battara several days ago about his thoughts on whether this was a silver-clad hilt--neither of us were sure what the metal was.

Previously, I've seen a couple of silver mounted kampilan, and they are certainly unusual. The use of banati wood on this one, also uncommon, would suggest that it is a high quality piece, although I think the silver work (and perhaps the whole hilt) are early 20th C while the blade could be earlier.

As far as a classification for kampilan, I did write a piece about 10 years ago on the old forum. Will try to find it again.

Ian.

Here is that old discussion: Towards a classification of kampilan

Last edited by Ian; 17th September 2014 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Added link to the old forum
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 05:16 AM   #3
Oliver Pinchot

Thanks, Ian!
No, I'm afraid I'm not the owner, lucky or otherwise. But I am trying to learn more about the subtleties of Moro work. There was also a whalebone-hilted kampilan out there last week which was very interesting.
Other than the condition of the blade, what are the factors which (potentially) make it earlier than the hilt?

BTW, have you published that classification paper?
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Sajen

Beautiful kampy, thank you for posting it Oliver! On one picture from the auction is seen a 20 centavos coin for the "eye" at the handle which is certainly from silver. And this coin show the same varnishing/oxidation like the other metal plates so it could be that all metal attachments are from silver.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 12:56 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
Thanks, Ian!
No, I'm afraid I'm not the owner, lucky or otherwise. But I am trying to learn more about the subtleties of Moro work. There was also a whalebone-hilted kampilan out there last week which was very interesting.
Other than the condition of the blade, what are the factors which (potentially) make it earlier than the hilt?

BTW, have you published that classification paper?
Oliver:

No, those thoughts were only posted on the old forum for discussion. I was hoping we would have more provenanced pieces before disseminating the ideas more widely. It is so hard to find examples of kampilan that have been reliably pinned down to a particular region or major tribal group.

As to the age of this blade, I was just going on its general appearance. Jose had thought that the style of decoration was perhaps mid-20th C, but the general condition of the blade seemed similar to some of my 19th C pieces. Nothing more specific than that.

Ian.
Old 17th September 2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Just to put this example in line with my earlier analysis, here are pictures showing the geometry of this kampilan around the central axis of the blade. In terms of the proposed classification, this would be a Type 1 kampilan in all respects, and possibly from the Lake Lanao region of the Maranao.

The top picture shows the typical uptilted hilt, with an "eye" disc and radiating lines (no "saddle" visible but may be obscured by the silver work in that area). The lower picture again shows the mid-line of the blade passing through a notch immediately below the "spike" at the tip.
Attached Images

Old 17th September 2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I would also say Maranao based on the okir work. Yes I say possibly later silver work (silver based on what I can see of the patina) with an early 20th century blade.

Better close ups and metal testing would pin things down better.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote