Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th July 2005, 03:02 PM   #1
kerinchi

Default some comment on a keris

assalammualikum and good for all.

actualy i`m a new members in this forum. i`m sorry because my english are not very good like others. so i would like to introduce a few about my self.

my name is fadhil latiffi bin shahruddin , 31 years old , from penang malaysia. actually my own home town are from parit, perak. i work as a electronic lecturer in institut teknologi tun abdul razak , cawangan perai, penang. and my interest are mostly in keris and knife.

i interest a lot in keris but i`m not the collector because that need alot of money on it. so i learn to make by my owm . i got some collection that i had make and can be check at my home page : http://kerinchi.fotopages.com/

so in this posting i would like some comment from all members about the keris i had make by my own. this keris actualy are not my but ask by one person and a friend of me to make the hilt and sarung for it.

i hope all members can guide and helping me to learn more about keris and others weapons.

thanks.
Attached Images

kerinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2005, 07:43 PM   #2
nechesh

Welcome to the forum kerinchi.
Just some clarification. You made the dress for this keris but not the blade, correct? Do you also forge blades as well. I can't tell from you website if you made these other knives or just the dress.
Frankly, the photos aren't clear enough for me to give you any real opinion on your work, though i can see right off that your carving skills are better than mine.
I will say that from the photos you appear to have overfinished your work just a bit. It's just a bit too shiny for my tastes. Can you show us some better lit photos of the hulu?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2005, 07:50 PM   #3
derek

Wa alikum salam, Kerinchi.

There are a lot of knowledgeable keris people here. I'm not one of them . But that's some very pretty woodwork. Well done.

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Henk

Welcome to the forum Kerinchi.

Just like Nechesh my question is also if you forge blades or only make the dress. As far as I can judge it from your pictures, it looks very nice to me. It is very shiny but maybe it is the flashlight on the lacquer. But if a blade should need a new dress, you certainly don't do a bad job.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice work.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 11:08 AM   #6
kerinchi

Default some answer

thanks for all who given some comment on my work.
the request from nechesh to get some more photos on the hilt of the keris, i can't give it. besause that the only picture i had taken on that keris and the keris already send to the owner at kedah. But i still have some other hilt that can be taken picture , and i hope some people can give an example how the picture angle must be taken to show more clearly.

the question on did i forge the blade, actually i dont forge the blade my self i take or buy from other person. only some blade on a knife that i make by my self. but this not using forging i only grinde on it only . the blade are from the blade of a planner machine or from machine saw blade . because this two type of blade are very sharp if make aknife , because it from the very high carbon steel .. but it to easy to broken.

the shiny from the blade from the flash , it may be i'm using the background that reflect the light.

nechesh and henk may be you can email me where i can give the more better resolution on the picture. because in this from had limited the resolution and i shrink it.

below this i given some picture on the keris that i make by my self , the blade and the dress ... but the shape of the blade are not very good like the blade that sell trough accross the web.

right now i still save some of my money to buy some old blade or new blade but better shape and having pamor on it.
Attached Images

kerinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Henk

Kerinchi,

These pictures look much better. The flashlight with a reflecting background often give such shiny pictures. Maybe you should use cloth as background. Maybe red, blue or even black. I think the shining will be less.
Old 19th July 2005, 10:28 PM   #8
nechesh

I agree with Henk, these pictures look better. The advice on backgrounds is a good one and you can eliminate that glare off the wood if you shoot without flash in naturally lit open shade.
Thanks for the close-up. keep up the good work.
Thanks for showing the keris blade that you made. While i probably wouldn't BUY a blade like this i wouldn't mind being able to MAKE a blade like this.
It ain't kraton quaility by far, but there certainly must be a sense of self-satisfaction having made it yourself.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 06:22 PM   #9
Henk

In a way even such a keris is charming. You have to know its story and sure I do agree with you Nechesh, there is nothing above kraton quality. But I certainly do like the dress of this keris.

That tumbok lada is great. It really looks good. I think it isn't such a punishment to have something like that in your collection. I think it is a pleasure to look at it.