Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default Elusive Tulip Pommel Kris

Greetings folks! I am posting a kris by permission of the owner. This is what Cato calls the "tulip" kris with the pommel in the form of a tulip bulb. I have only seen one picture of one which a fellow formite has.

This is one that I have handled and it is a smaller one. The pommel in question is ivory and the bands silver and braided hemp. Hard to see but there are laminations in the blade. Unfortunately the scabbard is in poor shape. I think this piece is possibly Maranao and maybe early 19c due to its size.

IT was brought back by John Wesley Bonzo who was a dentist with the US Army during the Spanish-American War. He returned from the Philippines in 1901 and died in 1969 at 100 years old. The owner is a relative.

I thought I'd post this for our research and records. My thanks to the owner.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Last edited by Battara; 23rd October 2011 at 05:13 AM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 06:34 AM   #2
ThePepperSkull

OH, MAN!

I've actually come across quite a few of these in person and PASSED ON THEM thinking that they were severely damagerd kakatua pommels that had been reshaped into something presentable (That and I'm looking currently for older Sulu pieces).

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, as I seem to have made a TON of errors regarding the tulip pommel. Which reminds me... I have some calls to make.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:58 PM   #3
kai

Quote:
I've actually come across quite a few of these in person and PASSED ON THEM thinking that they were severely damagerd kakatua pommels that had been reshaped into something presentable
That's still a distinct possibility that some of the rare hilt/pommel variants (not only with Moro pieces - throughout the archipelago) came into being as modifications by gifted artisans after the original pommel did break which does happen quite regularly as evidenced by broken/repaired kakatua pommels with genuine old patina on them.

I've also seen a few kris with this pommel style. I'll try to post some pics when I find them.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

It would be great to see more of these. Cato says they are rare, but perhaps he did not see what others have outside of museums.
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:10 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

Excellent info, Jose. thanks :- )

Just one newbie question, When I see the tang of a Kris, it looks very slim compared to european and "middle eastern" blades.. was it made to be used or just a dress sword?

The barong is serious business ofc :- P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:17 PM   #6
kai

Hello Jose,

Thanks for the pics!

Quote:
This is what Cato calls the "tulip" kris with the pommel in the form of a tulip bulb.
I have to admit that I'm not fond of this name at all - can't we come up with a better descriptive name that's possibly based in something known to the original culture, too?

I'm also not sure on how many variants we're actually looking at: There are those with swollen base and downward turned tip reminescent of a kakatua beak (like Rick's kris), then more slender ones that almost look like having been crafted on a lathe (handcarved as well, of course). I'd suggest that any with noticeable lateral turn (towards the side of a blade) may represent abstract versions of the figurative hilt style. Anything else I forgot to mention?

Quote:
This is one that I have handled and it is a smaller one. The pommel in question is ivory and the bands silver and braided hemp. Hard to see but there are laminations in the blade. Unfortunately the scabbard is in poor shape. I think this piece is possibly Maranao and maybe early 19c due to its size.
Nice one. First half of 19th c. sounds good to me and could well be a bit older. Could you please get a more exact measurement on the blade length as well as pommel length, please?

Is the pommel exactly in line with the grip or does it slightly tilt towards one of the sides?

Regards,
Kai
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:21 PM   #7
kai

Quote:
Cato says they are rare, but perhaps he did not see what others have outside of museums.
Yes, not that common. Yet I bet he left out a few museums as well...

Regards,
Kai
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
kai

Quote:
When I see the tang of a Kris, it looks very slim compared to european and "middle eastern" blades.. was it made to be used or just a dress sword?
The Moro kris was always meant to be functional. There are a few exceptions of ceremonial pieces with huge pommels that would kinda get in the way and were worn by high ranking persons who would certainly choose another piece from their personal arsenal if they needed to take part in any battle; still good enough for SD action if needed at all.

Actually, the tang of a Moro kris (and Malay keris sundang) is quite thick. It may look a bit on the short side for modern eyes but has a proven track record. Many other sword blades from different cultures came with tangs of similar or shorter sizes: e. g. some of the Indian wootz blades. The tang of the shorter ancestors of the Moro kris - the keris dagger from the Indonesian and Malay spheres of influence - may look slim (not always though) but is usually good enough for it's intended use as a close-in stabbing weapon (this weapon function has become culturally obsolete in limited areas like Jawa).

Regards,
Kai
Old 24th October 2011, 02:28 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Just one newbie question, When I see the tang of a Kris, it looks very slim compared to european and "middle eastern" blades.. was it made to be used or just a dress sword?
Good question. I agree with Kai - they were made to be useable. Thicker than others. As thick as some European pieces too.

Kai - I wish I could give you measurements, but, well, it is back with the owner now.

Oh and you're welcome A.Alnakkas
Old 24th October 2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
..... I have to admit that I'm not fond of this name at all - can't we come up with a better descriptive name that's possibly based in something known to the original culture, too?.....Kai
Hullo everybody,

Kai, try 'Gate to Mecca' ( motif has been around since approx. late 14thC and has become EXTREMELY stylised ).
That's all.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Indianajones

Hello, has anybody questioned about this pommel of what sort of ivory it is; I guess those cockatoo-pommels are elephant ivory (imported), but this could be a different kind of ivory -f.e. duhong-tooth, whalestooth- which would determine/explain this particular shape ("tulip").
hpe I'm 'making sense'?
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Example .
This is a form unto itself; not a re-shaped kakatua .
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 24th October 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you Rick - I was hoping you would chime in with your piece.