Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th August 2018, 10:51 AM   #1
RobertGuy

Default Eastern European Kinjal Dagger

Looking for comments and information about this recent purchase.
Catalogue description:
Eastern European Kindjal Dagger, 7 1/2 inch double edged wide blade. Two central fullers. Horn and bone polished slab side grips with brass floral headed rivetsto the face. Contained in its brown leather European made scabbard with rear belt loop.

My stats:
Weight 8oz (0.22kg)
Length overall: 11.25'' (28.5cm) Blade: 7.5'' (19cm)
Profile taper: 1.36'' (34.7mm) at ricasso , 1.20'' (30.4mm)at mid blade, 0.85'' (21.7mm) 2'' from tip.
Distal taper 0.18'' (4.7mm) at ricasso, 0.15'' (3.9mm)at mid blade,. 0.13'' (3.5mm) 2'' from tip.

I don't think this dagger has any great age, the sheath is definitely machine sewn but is obviously made to fit this dagger. The overall quality seems good, not like many tourist pieces. What it puts me in mind of, strangely enough, is the sort of knife you would find in a top end US or Canadian spots shop for sale to Boy Scouts. Totally different style of course but similar quality and feel. The blade is sharp, solid and of good weight. All info and comments gratefully received. I am particularly interested in likely origin, age and the significance of the bi-material handle.
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 01:28 PM   #2
ariel

It looks Turkish to me. Wild guessing, it might have been even made there in toto: blade, handle and custom scabbard. I agree that it is not very old.
The bone/horn combination is a usual feature of Caucasian kindjals and was also seen in the adjacent countries. The significance of it is simple: economy of materiel. The " white" part on higher-end examples was often made of relatively expensive ivory or walrus and was worn on the outside to impress the girls:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 09:38 AM   #3
RobertGuy

Thanks for that Ariel.
Old 19th August 2018, 07:04 PM   #4
motan

Hi,
I agree with Ariel (too often lately). A very generic type of Kindjal-like dagger that could be from anywhere in the Caucasus, Turkey or even Syria. Definitely not a tourist piece because it is too functional and not very ornamented. I really don't know the age, but it could be 100 y. The scabbard is not very old, but I am not convinced it is original (even though it is custom-made for this dagger).
The scabbard looks European- especially the broad leather loop which is common in many commando and Scandinavian knives, but not in any Caucasian or Middle Eastern daggers. Just a guess: it could belong to a soldier who got it as present, booty, or just bought it somewhere, and he ordered the scabbard at a leather shop.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 08:02 AM   #5
RobertGuy

Thanks everybody. A pity I can't narrow it down but it does seem to be a very generic piece. I agree the scabbard seems European but is made for this knife and the whole package seems of nice solid quality and it is a pleasure to handle.
Old 20th August 2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Oliver Pinchot

The waisted grips and short, bifullered blade indicate the general vicinity of Trabzon, but the type was carried throughout Turkey. This dates around the founding of the Republic.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote