Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd October 2014, 04:25 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Very Interesting All Business Tulwar Sword

I was recently able to acquire this interesting "all business" tulwar sword from one of our forum members. I find it to be a fascinating sword in many respects:

- it is likely the heaviest tulwar with the thickest blade I have ever handled
- the blade is an excellent example of pattern welding
- the blade is inlaid in STEEL with an inscription
- the hilt is an interesting combination of fine wootz and homogenous steel

The sword was no doubt owned by a big, powerful man. The blade is heavy and somewhat difficult to handle easily, though one blow from it could likely cleave off a man's full shoulder with ease.

This is the first time I have seen a sword with an inscription inlaid in steel, reading:

(Sahib Sri) Uday Singh (Ji) Daata Sahib Labana – Daata Sahib (Head) of Labana (village in Rajasthan)

The sword's maker's mark shows the maker as Ibrahim Amal, forged in the Islamic year 1254 (1838AD).

The hilt is made of two panels of wootz steel and with a wootz pommel and homogeneous steel quillons fitted into the hilt via wedges welded to the wootz. The wootz grips are possibly veneers over homogenous steel. I wonder why wootz was not simply used throughout?

I am including a picture of another Indian sword (from Akaal Arms blog) with an identically made hilt, but with gold koftgari covering the wedged in welds.

The scabbard is original and features silver plated steel fittings.

Truly an all business tulwar!!

Dimensions:

Total length: 37in.
Blade length: 31.5in.
Blade thickness at the forte: 3/8 in.

*Thanks to Runjeet Singh for his help in translations, and for allowing me to use pics from his site for comparative purposes.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 22nd October 2014 at 06:46 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:17 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Superb!!!
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 01:00 AM   #3
Andrew

Thumbs up

Wow. A truly exceptional example, Charles.

What are the dimensions of the hilt? Is it larger than typical, as one would expect?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 01:01 AM   #4
Andrew

Also, you indicated the inscription was inlaid in steel? It looks acid-etched in those photos...is that what you meant?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Spunjer

not my field but man, you always find the good stuff, bro! congrats!
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:29 PM   #6
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Also, you indicated the inscription was inlaid in steel? It looks acid-etched in those photos...is that what you meant?

Thanks for the input folks!

Andrew, regarding the hilt, it is quite a "normal" size for a tulwar hilt.

Regarding the inscription, it is inlay and not acid etched. Please look carefully at the characters(last pic with the sword's fullers to the bottom) and you'll see some tiny spaces between the inlay and the blade with a couple of them. Age residue has built up in that space in some of them, but it makes it clear they are separate pieces of inlay...separate from the blade that is.
Old 23rd October 2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

Congratulation. It is a very unusual and interesting tulwar.
I understand Andrew's question, as I have never seen or heard of steel inlaid in steel. This does not mean that it could not have been done, and I respect your judgement, but could the inlay be another softer metal looking like steel?
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 04:09 PM   #8
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Congratulation. It is a very unusual and interesting tulwar.
I understand Andrew's question, as I have never seen or heard of steel inlaid in steel. This does not mean that it could not have been done, and I respect your judgement, but could the inlay be another softer metal looking like steel?
Jens

Hi Jens,

This is quite possible. Runjeet, Rsword, Battara, and myself all had a very good look at it. What is for sure is that it is not silver, gold, nor "white metal" or silver alloy.....could it be something other than steel???...sure, but the etched hue looks like steel to us.

...and yes, it is quite a strange sight, and really reflects my idea of this being an "all business" sword.

Thanks for your input.
Old 23rd October 2014, 05:19 PM   #9
Emanuel

Magnificent sword Charles!

In Bikaner I saw a few very heavy tulwars supposedly used by some very powerful men. Every component from the hilt to the blade were very thick and heavy-looking, but very well executed.

In regards to the steel inlay, I don't see any reason why it would not have been done. Richard Furrer demonstrated such "inlay" in his reproduction of an Ulfberht sword. IIRC in the Ulfberht sword, the "inlay" was forge welded into the blade, and is not actually cold inlaid wire like the usual soft silver or gold wire. This tulwar may have been decorated in the same manner.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 07:15 PM   #10
archer

Default Very Interesting

Congratulations Charles a very unique example. I'm wondering about the swords weight to help set a benchmark. Awhile back we were trying to establish what a light weight might be. Thanks Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote