Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Timonium 2008 in Review

Hi All

Just wanted to say how nice it was to see all of you again at Timonium. The seminar was very nice I really enjoyed the talk on Manchurian bows and archery. Battara gave a great talk and demonstration on Philippine engraving and design. Steve I loved your Moro gunong table presentation . There was a table set up with some nice Chinese pole arms along with Battara's Moro and Mandaya weapons presentation. Lee,Charles,Phil and Mark it was nice to sit and chat with you once again. Artzi you were missed by all so be well and hopefully next year we can all have the pleasure of your company Avner it was nice to see you again hope you enjoyed the pistachios Hopefully next year we will have a larger turnout and some more wonderful table presentations

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Flavio

Hello guys, could you show us some pictures? Pleazzzzz
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Thanks Again!

I had a very good time as well and learned much from the several excellent presentations.

I would like to thank Artzi and Avner Yarom (Oriental-Arms) for having again sponsored the ethnographic seminar and dinner. This event would have died a long time ago without their guidance and support.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 03:32 AM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Flavio

Here are a few shots of the table displays from the seminar.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 04:15 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE HAD A GOOD TIME AS USUAL , WISH I COULD HAVE MADE IT THIS YEAR . THE PRESENTATIONS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN VERY GOOD AND THE COMPANY FIRST RATE AND PLENTY OF FOOD. THE ONLY THING MISSING IS DANCING GIRLS AND ONE TIME THEY HAD DANCING GIRLS BUT THEY WERE IN ANOTHER MEETING ROOM DANCING ACROSS THE HALL. WE LOOKED IN AT THEM DANCING AND THEY LOOKED IN AT US DISCUSSING SWORDS AND EDGED WEAPONS AND RAN OFF.
DID ANYONE GET ANY TREASURES AT THE SHOW OR AT THE WEAPONS AUCTION?
PERHAPS IF THIS STICKY STAYS POSTED WE COULD ADD PICTURES FROM OTHER GATHERINGS IF ANY ONE HAS ANY AND KEEP A KIND OF REFRENCE OF SUBJECTS COVERED, DISPLAYS, PRESENTATIONS ECT. FROM PAST GATHERINGS.
I HOPE ARTZI CAN MAKE IT NEXT YEAR! IF IT WERE NOT FOR HIM AND LEE IT COULD NEVER HAVE STARTED AND CONTINUED, AND WE ALL WOULD HAVE MISSED OUT ON SOME GREAT TIMES AND EXCELLENT PRESENTATIONS.

THANKS FOR POSTING THE PICTURES AND GIVING A REPORT ON HOW IT WENT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Philip

Default A good time had by all / thoughts about our future

Many thanks to our two excellent speakers, Peter Dekker (visiting from the Netherlands, presenting on Qing archery) and our loyal forumite Jose Albovias (aka Battara) doing a lecture/demo on decorative metalwork on Philippine arms. Pity that we missed Artzi's talk on Chinese trousses for two years running, hope he can give it next year.

A good thing was that the pace of the evening was relaxed enough to allow for some lively shmoozing at the table displays. (BTW, the polearms in the pic are not Chinese, but are instead some pretty rare and fine Vietnamese examples brought by Nick Wardigo along with two very interesting rattan hats/helmets worn by troops of the Nguyen Dynasty).

I had suggested that the added free time be used for a "half time show" but the gent whose talent I had in mind (doing the Zulu war dance) demurred since he didn't bring the requisite costume and weaponry.

A cloud over the evening was the smallest attendance to date. Don't know if the auction across the aisle had anything to do with it, I don't intend to point fingers but we did have a few show attendees who inquired with us as things were being set up, but who opted for the sale instead. Mark launched a discussion about the seminar's future -- perhaps a rotating venue divorced from the Baltimore show, in various cities year-by-year so that members in diverse geographical areas can more conveniently attend. Perhaps use it to launch a show especially dedicated to ethno arms -- scholarship and horsetrading combined. We wrapped it up by agreeing to mull it over, and present it on this Forum for suggestions and comments by the membership at large. This program is just too good to let go down the tubes !!!
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Flavio

Thank you Lew

P.S. who is the lucky owner of that fantastic mandaya sword in the last photo (if I am correct ) ?

Last edited by Flavio; 18th March 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Mark

I'm glad you were taking pictures, Lew. I forgot my camera this year. I've been meaning to do a page on past shows for Lee to put somewhere on vikingsword.com, but being me, I let such things get pushed aside all too easily. If anyone has photos, please send them to me and I promise that I will get it done this year!

Flavio - the Manday is Jose's (lucky devil).

All of the displayed items were beautiful, as usual. I didn't have time to complement you on the polish & etch jobs on your gunang, Steve, which I understand you did yourself. Excellent work.

I picked up a nice story dha from Avner, which I have been eyeing for a while. It is unusual in having niello worked into the ferrule and pommel. I am in the process of correcting a sloppy repair done sometime in its distant past, but I'll post some pics when it is done. I also won a nice dha at the auction, but wasn't able to pick it up immediately because my bid hadn't been registered for some reason and they had to sort out the paperwork. However, Oliver has been very quick and professional in sorting out the mix-up. I must say that dispite my annoyance at it having been planned at the same time and place as the seminar, it was a very good and well-run auction. Its hard to say if it drew a significant number of people away from the talk - there were a couple of walk-ins for us, and several people circulated between the two events as lots of interest came up. I understand that next year it won't be scheduled to conflict with the seminar.

BTW, when did it finally end? I left at around 11:30pm, and they were somewhere in the low 300's, with just over 400 lots total in the auction. A long night.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Ferguson

This was only my second year in attendance and I was blown away by the comraderie and the knowledge in that room. Excellent presentations by Peter and Jose! It was a pleasure to display some of my pieces to folks who understand and appreciate them. Phillip answered my question about how the smith made the horsetooth pattern in the blade of my gunong! The food was great, and the facilities were top notch.

Much thanks to Artzi and Avner for providing us this wonderful evening.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 02:26 PM   #10
rand

Default Timonium

The Timonium gathering on Saturday evening was a great pleasure and one of the main factors in my decision to attend the Baltimore show for the first time. Only wish I had more time prior to the talks to visit with other collectors and had been able to use Friday evening also.

Both lectures given were well researched and the presentation kept your attention all the way through.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 01:35 AM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you for the kind feedback. I had fun presenting.

And I must admit I have never seen so many gunong in my life like what Steve displayed.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 05:56 PM   #12
Spunjer

reviving an old thread after reading mark's thread about the upcoming show for 2009...

never been to timonium show, but i notice other than vendors, there seems to be quite a few displays being presented. my question is are these displays judged, and if they are, what are the prizes? seems to me those displays featured in this thread woulda won something. they're elegant!
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Spunger, the displays are not judged, only enjoyed and discussed - great fun. Unfortunately I will not be able to go this time.
Old 28th December 2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Spunjer

battara, how's timonium show compared to the big one in ky, size wise?
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 01:50 AM   #15
Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Unfortunately I will not be able to go this time.
Aw man, that's too bad. You'll be missed.
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 02:45 AM   #16
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, the show may make your eye balls pop out!

KY is 2nd, but a close 2nd. The Seminar night is great!

Thanks Steve, I will miss everyone there. Maybe next year.....