Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 14th January 2020, 11:43 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Yayasan Damartaji

Yayasan Damartaji is the organisation that provided public access to the Karaton Surakarta Pakem Dhapur that was produced by Kanjeng Gusti Pangeran Harya Hadiwijaya, who was a son of the Susuhunan of Surakarta, Pakubuwana X.

The original handwritten work was published in 1920, the drawings were made by Bapak Sunarya, who was a member of the Surakarta Karaton hierarchy.

I was fortunate in that I was able to handle and photograph the original book, it was offered to me to purchase, but I was not able to afford it, additionally, I had some doubts about my ability to leave Indonesia with it, so passed up the opportunity to purchase. But the seller permitted me to hold on to the book for a few days, and I photographed it. The original is a very big book, probably about four times as big as the Yayasan Damartaji copy that many of us are familiar with.

Towards the end of the 1990's the Damartaji edition became available for purchase, and since then it is my understanding that several other editions have been published, whether by Yayasan Damartaji or some other publisher, I do not know. At least one of these publications has been copied and published on Facebook.

Below you will see two images:- one is the cover of the Yayasan Damartaji edition that I have, the other image is a sample photo of a page from the edition that can be seen on Facebook. The Facebook edition has a totally different layout to the Damartaji edition.

My Question

Does anybody recognise the page layout of the non-Damartaji edition?

If so, I would greatly appreciate the publishing details, either hardcopy, or electronic.

Thank you.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 09:48 PM   #2
kai

Smile

Hello Alan,

I hope you're doing well despite fire and water!

I don't have this edition. I can probably get an answer in a few months though (if it is not too recently published). Please keep us posted if you happen to solve the riddle!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 01:11 AM   #3
jagabuwana

The only lead I've been able to find is that IndoMagic have this book on their online shop (though out of stock).

A preview of a couple of the pages show the layout/format that you're looking to find more information on.

However it says that it's published by Yayasan Damartaji 1998, and the cover is the same.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 11:51 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Jaga, that's about where I got to, too.

I thought maybe somebody else had rearranged things a bit and published a new edition, but maybe they just re-arranged it themselves.

My copy has always had missing pages, incorrectly Romanised, or maybe just incorrectly transcribed names. I've never bother to go through one by one and correct all that stuff, principally because I cannot properly read Hanacaraka script, and the published script is far from clear. I'm thinking now that I might digitise my own 35mm negatives, Photoshop crops of the result, and give them to somebody in Solo to Romanise.

But it all takes time that maybe would be better spent elsewhere.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote