Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th June 2018, 04:50 AM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Seeking advice on Balinese keris hulu

Hi friends

Can you advise me about the circled part on the hulu. Is there any meaning to it?

And in addition, what is your review about this keris in term of age and quality of the blade and as a whole?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Jean

Hello Anthony,
This is a good, old (19th century?) and classical blade from Bali or more probably Lombok with an old gerantiman style hilt. The tail of the ganja has been apparently damaged/ cut. I will let others comment on the spiral motif on top of the hilt.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Paul B.

It is not the answer to your question but I have handled this Gerantim handle and I am 100% sure it is not old but good recent craftsmanship.
Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B.
It is not the answer to your question but I have handled this Gerantim handle and I am 100% sure it is not old but good recent craftsmanship.
Hi Paul and rest, thanks for the advice.

Aside to Paul, could you confirm with me on one thing. Good recent craftsmanship means the hilt only and not the blade. right?
Old 7th June 2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

IIRC, and often I don't.
This is a representation of a sprout or tendril vegetable in nature.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 05:31 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
IIRC, and often I don't.
This is a representation of a sprout or tendril vegetable in nature.
That's my understanding as well.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 05:38 PM   #7
Gustav

Here a thread where two makers of this specific hilt form, father and son, are mentioned. This one could be the work of father.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=gerantim

Regarding the feature on top of the hilt, Jasper and Mas Pirngadie calls it Liking Pakoe (Paku) and describes it as a "monsterlike" figurine of an animal with tail rolled up. At that time (before 1930) they already couldn't find out the meaning of it and wrote - pepajasan, just an adornment, without symbol value. Jensen compares it with a figure called quadruped of Indra from Majapahit period.

On newer Gerantim (like this one) this feature is even more simplified, so perhaps the meaning is completely lost.

The blade... just like a Karangasem royal Keris stripped of its Kinatah
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 05:42 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G.
Good recent craftsmanship means the hilt only and not the blade. right?
I believe it does Anthony. This appears to be a decent Bali blade from the late 19th C, though as Jean has pointed it, it does have some damage issues, not just to the tail of the gonjo, but also along the edges, especially just above the gandik.
I cannot speak to the age of the hilt and have not had the benefit to handle the piece like Paul has, but would it matter to you if this hilt were not antique? It is traditionally made, nicely crafted and appears to be made of precious metal. Dress is routinely updated within keris-bearing societies. I don't believe age would add much value to this hilt IMHO.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 06:52 PM   #9
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I cannot speak to the age of the hilt and have not had the benefit to handle the piece like Paul has, but would it matter to you if this hilt were not antique? It is traditionally made, nicely crafted and appears to be made of precious metal. Dress is routinely updated within keris-bearing societies. I don't believe age would add much value to this hilt IMHO.
The hilt may be recent indeed although the top part is dented (fragile silver sheet?) and the selut is partly damaged and does not look recent (replaced?). What matters is that the core with finely woven silver strips looks in excellent condition.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 02:39 AM   #10
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I believe it does Anthony. This appears to be a decent Bali blade from the late 19th C, though as Jean has pointed it, it does have some damage issues, not just to the tail of the gonjo, but also along the edges, especially just above the gandik.
Hi David

Greeting.

I just need to know what I am collecting especially it is an important learning stage for me as a newbie, it does not matter if the hilt is antique as long it is a properly made according to the tradition.
Old 8th June 2018, 07:25 AM   #11
Anthony G.

Dear all

I just went to the custom today and can only collect back the hilt. It seems that the hilt is in good condition compare to the dealer photos which is misleading. Please see my photo. It is thin sheet of silver covering the internal (wood). No dent whatsoever. Any idea what is the price for this hilt in the market? Just asking.

As for the blade, it requires additional level of police clearance due to the length. I have seen it thou.

-The gonjo 'modification' is quite well done and smooth but not sure why it was modified. Could it be that it was damaged before and repaired?

I will post more photo of the blade if the authority return back to me. Finger cross :P
Attached Images