Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
kronckew

Default New old club

new to me, old to the world. or so billed. i defer to the experts for their words of wisdom as to age & origin.

sold as: samoan or fijian, hardwood, 38 in. long 5.25 in. at the widest part of the 'blade', 1 in. carved grip tapering to the point. aged listed as 1900-1940.

more details when it arrives.

pictures to follow on arrival.

Linky to ebay auction

Last edited by kronckew; 7th June 2014 at 10:58 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 06:41 AM   #2
kronckew

to clarify any misunderstandings: i was a bit terse in the original post, preferring to wait until it arrived to wax more lyrical, leaving it open to misinterpretation.

1. new to me - i meant that as in i never had a club like that myself. did not mean to imply the club itself was newly made or a replica.*
2. old club. - yes, it's an antique, likely 1900-1940 as was listed. i was asking if it could be pinned down a bit more.
3. there was an added the question mark to the description on ebay as to the locational origin. i asked if anyone could pin it's origin down more closely is all. fiji and samoa being a bit different.
4. i like the club as shown and am eagerly awaiting it so i can hold it and love it and stroke it and polish it and brag about it. been looking for one like it for a while. i'm surprised it was not bid on by others, i was prepared to bid more if they had. this one was, i thought, prettier than the other on offer.
5. the foot in one of the vendor's pictures is a perfectly nice foot. it shows the scale of the item.
6. i will post the traditional in hand photos and add more dimensions and the weight after it arrives as it was not listed.

*- i have nothing but respect for the supplier and his other wares, collecting clubs is new to me so i have questions rather than answers, and want to learn more from those more knowledgeable. the suppliers blurb on ebay was a useful and honest appraisal of the item, but as i eagerly await it, i want to learn more. i called the flattened section the 'blade' because, while it is not a traditional metal blade, i don't know what else to call it, it's a 'blade' to me, the whole being a 'sword' club until someone corrects me.

Last edited by kronckew; 7th June 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 7th June 2014, 03:17 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I WOULD HAVE TO GUESS AT ITS ORIGIONS AND WOULD SAY LIKELY SOLOMON ISLANDS OR ONE OF THE OTHER GROUPS OF ISLANDS IN THE REGION OF NEW GUINEA. I WOULD ELIMINATE SAMOA AND FIJI. I WOULD SAY IT DOES LOOK MORE LIKE A CLUB THAN A TOOL BUT NOT HAVING IT IN HAND CAN ONLY GO FROM ITS APPEARANCE. THE WEIGHT AND FEEL OF A WEAPON IS USUALLY DIFFERENT THAN THAT OF TOOLS OR ITEMS ONLY USED IN CEREMONY OR DANCE. A NICE AND UNUSUAL CLUB.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 03:19 PM   #4
kronckew

club arrived today, was as described. weighs 790 grams, about what my heavy suburi bokken weighs. length is just right for swinging about on foot without hitting the ground. would not want to get hit with this
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 11th June 2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11th June 2014, 05:36 PM   #5
manteris1

I belive this is from the Solomon Islands.......................jimmy
manteris1 is offline   Reply With Quote