Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2006, 10:20 AM   #1
rahman

I may be wrong, but one defining characteristic of a Straits Bugis or Malay blade vis-a-vis Sulawesi blade is the presence of a 'pinggang' (waist) on the blade. Malay blades tend to have this feature and gives the overall blade a refined flow. In contrast, the Sulawesi blades tend to be more broad and stocky. Just my 2 bits worth.

For the ringing, I think that's the mark of a tempered blade. I call it singing and I luv keris that sing! My 2 bits worth again
rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 10:51 AM   #2
BluErf

Rahman Sir, haven't heard from you for a long time! I am down with a bad flu, which gave me the rare opportunity to read the forum while the sun is still in the sky.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 01:29 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Sorry yo hear of your illness Kai Wee. I trust you will be back on you feet in no time.
I share your fondness for "singers" Rahman. I wonder if it has more to do with just tempering the blade. I would have thought that many of my older blades that don't sing would also have been tempered. I have thought that the pleasant ringing might have more to do with the types of metals used in the forging. Perhaps someone knows more.
David is online now   Reply With Quote