FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2006, 06:45 PM   #1
mross

Default Ebay kalis

How about a discussion on this sword?;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7418102449
It looked good to me and I wanted to bid on it but due to a recent
purchase here, several keris from doecon and a wife and 2 kids I let it
go. The more I look at it though the more I think I should have sold a kid.
Can I put them on ebay? Yes, I am right now suffering from auction regret. Man I hate that. Ok, enough rambling. What do you think of this kalis? It looks to me like upper class quality, maybe even Datu class. I think the buyer made a good deal.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

I wouldn't want to comment on price .
The ivory pommel is broken ; I have misgivings about the veracity of the hilt wrap being of human hair . The ferrule is in quite nice condition as is the blade from what I can see .
This is (according to current knowledge) an average Maranao combat blade ; it has been over polished for my tastes ; on the other hand it's ready for a nice etch .

Maybe I'm just jaded from the good old days of ebay but I would not have bid on it .

Broken stuff puts me off but that's a personal thing I guess .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 09:00 PM   #3
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I wouldn't want to comment on price .
Understood. Would that mean you would have to ban yourself?
Quote:
The ivory pommel is broken ; I have misgivings about the veracity of the hilt wrap being of human hair . The ferrule is in quite nice condition as is the blade from what I can see .
Yeah, I was giving the seller a little salemanship on the human hair thing. I agree on the ferrule.
Quote:
This is (according to current knowledge) an average Maranao combat blade ; it has been over polished for my tastes ; on the other hand it's ready for a nice etch .
Rick, what makes this average based on current knowledge? I really want to know, because I may have blown this id (Which eases my auction regret a bit) Without having it in hand I looked at these cues;
1) ivory pommel
2) silver handle wire
3) stirrup(baca-baca) is(could be) silver

Any and all information as to what goes through your mind when you evaluate a sword is most appreciated.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Understood. Would that mean you would have to ban yourself?

Yeah, I was giving the seller a little salemanship on the human hair thing. I agree on the ferrule.

Rick, what makes this average based on current knowledge? I really want to know, because I may have blown this id (Which eases my auction regret a bit) Without having it in hand I looked at these cues;
1) ivory pommel
2) silver handle wire
3) stirrup(baca-baca) is(could be) silver

Any and all information as to what goes through your mind when you evaluate a sword is most appreciated.

No , one of our members bought the piece I believe .

The stirrup is most likely steel ; a silver one might well have been decorated but steel is so much stronger , for combat .

You'll notice that I said the *blade* is an average Maranao combat example ; granted it has a great fit to the gangya but there is no engraving and unless there's something I can't see because of the polish it looks to be of simple piled construction .

Doubtless with the silver ferrule , wire and ivory it belonged to a man who was not on the bottom of the social totem pole . Still in all it is a no nonsense combat blade .

After all you don't take a delicate sword to war .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 07:45 AM   #5
Bill M

Just received this. I really like it. Has an incredible balance. Thin older blade really feels good in the hand. A bit overcleaned. Can't tell what the clamp is made from. Gotta get one of those silver testing kits.

I like the price.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote