Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
gbxfb

Default Matchlock Arquebus

Hello to all at the European Armoury Forum.

I'm looking for some information on a matchlock gun in my collection,The gun weighs about 14lb with a 3 stage swamped barrel of 34" the calibre is about .65/16mm. Whilst the gun has been restocked in oak in the recent past, it's just possible that the lock was associated,as a modernization,during it's service career. The breach shows signs of the removal
of the original integral pan and cover,but later damage/erosion to the filling insert suggest this was done long ago.
I think the barrel might be mid 1500s and possibly German in origin,but I would be happy to be corrected! Any thoughts on this gun will be gratefully received. Is the profile of the replacement stock correct for the period? I can't see a way to post the essential pictures to go with this thread,so I would be pleased to receive some guidance,on this subject as well.

Many thanks,Simon.
gbxfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum, Simon.
Read here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13631
If still you don't manage, let us know.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 10:31 AM   #3
gbxfb

Here are the photographs as promised,sorry for the delay.I do have better quality images than the down load limit allows,which I could send direct if this is within Forum rules.
Attached Images

Old 7th December 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
fernando

Pleade send me those pictures Simon; just to see what we can do with them !
fernando@vikingsword.com
Old 7th December 2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Simon,

Your assumptions were almost exactly right:

Your composite arquebus consists of an early South German (almost certainly Nuremberg made) Landsknecht arquebus barrel; the way the barrel is staged - the first, rear stage seems to be round - assigns it to the 1520's-30's. The original long barrel tang and rear sight have been removed, and the pan is of Italian ca. 1570's type. The lock and stock are quite crude modern reconstructions and do not meet the correct style: while the lock is of incorrect 1630's style the stock vaguely recalls 1580's Italian stocks. As the stock is new the lock cannot be a replacement.

If you are interested in original Landsknecht arquebuses of ca. 1520-25, 1539 and ca. 1540 please see my threads

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...necht+arquebus

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...echt+harquebus

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...echt+harquebus

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 01:59 PM   #6
gbxfb

Many thanks to Fernando and Michael for their kind and rapid response to my post.

I was sold this gun as a 17th Century composite piece, however, I suspected the barrel was significantly earlier and it is gratifying to have this confirmed by Michael. It is interesting that Michael says that the pan and cover are 1570's Italian in style. The pan and cover are integral with the lock plate, which I realize is not remotely obvious from my poor photographs!

This lock is rather a conundrum. When I bought this piece I dismissed it as of relatively recent manufacture as is the stock, however on close examination it does have some considerable age to it and its action is as good as any I have examined, a good working lock. The sear bar and serpentine crank are of wrought iron construction and show signs of de-lamination which I have seen on English locks of the Civil War period. I have taken some close up pictures of the lock which I hope illustrate this and emailed them to Fernando. When I mentioned earlier that I thought that the lock could be associated with the barrel, it was only because of the considerable care taken to match it to the barrel profile and the work is old. This led me to wonder if the re-stocker found them together in some old wormed stock which we would have conserved! Fanciful maybe, but on reading Michael's threads on how these guns were kept serviceable and were modified for hundreds of years after their original manufacture, even to the fitting of percussion locks, who knows.

The quality of this barrel is a testimony to the skills of the Nuremberg barrel makers who forged it nearly five hundred years ago, but I was wondering
whether it was intended for a martial or civilian piece?

Best regards,
Simon.
Old 9th December 2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Simon,

Believe me: the lock and stock were made in the early 20th century at best, disregading the 'aged' patina and the fact that the lock parts are of wrought iron. Italian forgers 'workshops' did that at large (and still do). They result is often unbelievably good for the inexperienced eye. You must have dismantled and compared a great number of original matchlocks, studied their quality and compared them with forgeries in order to at once judge the differences.

As I said, the barrel was certainly taken from a Landsknecht (mercenary) arquebus, so its original destination was 'military'.

The sad fact is that your 'arquebus' is a crudely composite piece and, in its present shape and to the inexperienced eye, vaguely tries to convey the impression of an Italian 1570-80's matchlock musket but is of incorrect shape, weight and length. Italian (and German) original muskets of that period had fish-tail buttstocks, were at least 1.58 m long and weighed 8 kg and more (sample attached).

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 9th December 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:35 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Please send me those pictures Simon; just to see what we can do with them !
fernando@vikingsword.com
Pictures resized to uploadable parameters:

Attached Images

Old 14th December 2011, 03:57 PM   #9
gbxfb

Many thanks to Fernando for posting my pictures, and to Michael for his
reply to my last post.

When I bought this piece I realized that I was probably buying an old barrel,
which I hoped was significantly older than the Mid 17th Century it was
described as. The stock was probably made in the last 20 or 30 years and the work is quite rough and basic and would fool know one. I had hoped that the lock was 17th Century. I realize as I said in my 1st post that it could not have been the original as it has an integral pan and cover and the barrel
shows signs of the removal of what would have been the correct period
barrel mounted pan and cover. Michael makes it clear in his last post that
this lock is a fake made in the last 100 years or so, even down to forging the
lock parts from wrought iron, which shows the trouble these fakers will go to.

I intend to re-stock this piece, now it is clear to me how far out the previous
effort is! and I shall look to Michael, if I may for advise on stock profiles and lock types/patterns. Was the original gun fitted with a snapping or sear lock?

Michael, as the battle of Pavia falls into the date range you ascribe to the barrel, and the Landsknechts were present on both sides, I suppose it's
reasonable to assume that it might have been there?

Thanks again, and best regards,

Simon.
Old 14th December 2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Matchlock
(deceased)

Simon,

Before going into the required details, I would have to see the following close-ups:

- the muzzle slightly slanted, and the present caliber measured in mm

- the area where the original rear sight was fixed to the top base of the barrel

- Are there traces of a former foresight - I strongly expect them to be there!

Based on this information, I could tell you a lot more, especially as the originally dove-tailed pan and cover were obviously removed as well, so the barrel itself is just a fragment compared to what is was like almost 500 years ago, and I am afraid it will never look the same again. Anything you might probably add, in my opinion, would not by far come in the slightest near the original impression.

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 14th December 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:50 AM   #11
gbxfb

Hi Michael,

I hope these photographs provide the detail that you need. The bore
diameter is 16.5mm.

I was rather surprised that you consider my proposed restoration would not
be successful. I suggest that provided the work is carried out to the correct
pattern and style, from the right materials and to a high standard, I cannot
imagine why the overall effect should not be an accurate rendition of the
original piece. This form of reconstruction is carried out routinely in museum
collections worldwide, and I have seen examples at the Royal Armouries in
Leeds. The protocol being not to age the renewed parts so that they may be readily discerned. In this instance the missing tang and priming pan could be
'hung' in the stock which would spare the barrel any further injury, and
would be in line with modern sympathetic conservation practice.

I realize that much of this piece would now be new, however the barrel is
always the core of any long gun, and in this instance a substantial one as it
weighs in at 10lbs.

Best regards,
Simon.
Attached Images

Old 21st December 2011, 05:59 AM   #12
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Simon,

Alright then! The bore seems to be the original which is very good as most early barrels were drilled out in secondary use.
I'd suggest you choose a stock and lock shape from the threads I mentioned above.

Have fun,
Michael