Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th February 2008, 05:35 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default An Interesting Indonesian Parang With Ottoman Yataghan(!!!) Blade

Many of you know that I am fascinated by "cross-cultural" pieces, especially those showing characteristics of different aspects of weaponry from the far reaches of the Islamic world.

This is one of the most interesting ones I have found in some time. It is an Indonesian parang, likely from Java, made with an Ottoman yataghan blade!!!

I have to imagine that this is for a person of status. Originally the blade was washed in the traditional Indo-Malay manner with arsenic, which in this case had actually done some damage to the blade, which is why I removed it, for a less corrosive etchant.

The characteristics of the yataghan blade are quite clear, with a a raised false bolster that would likely have been covered on a traditional yat, and cartouches to both sides of the blade.

The fittings are of excellent quality in a decent grade of silver, and very finely worked. The chape's tip has a very Indian look about it. There is an inscription to the top for the guard, and I am wondering if anyone can make out the language and message???? Thanks for any help in that regard.

For a person of status a sword blade from so far away must have seemed quite exotic, and while a recurved yat blade is not too far removed from an Indonesian tusuk style, its shape would have been right at home in the Indonesian arsenal.

Input and comments welcomed.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 07:05 PM   #2
VVV

Congratulations Charles, the best of both worlds.
Never seen anything like it before.
The inscription on the guard looks like Javanese to me?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 07:27 PM   #3
CharlesS

Thanks Michael. I thought it might be Javanese, but I am not so familiar with that script.

Do you know anyone that might be able to translate it??
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Henk

Lets call this piece a Yataghan Pedang. Probably Java indeed.
Not very surprising. Turkey had connections with Indonesia.

Very nice pedang, congrats.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 08:15 AM   #5
tunggulametung

Nyai/kyai yayut? Kyai would means like sir or lord, in the past usually used in front of royal or important tosan aji actual name. Nyai is the female form of kyai. Literary they would also used to address people like Kyai Charless = Sir Charless, and Javanese usually regard tosan aji as person. Most probably not the name of the owner but the name of the sword itself.

You have turn 180 degrees to read that script. I turn your picture that way and guess the translation from that given picture. Some letter are covered by the hilt and might sounds differently like yuyut instead of yayut if there is another particle covered by the hilt. I don't read complex Javanese script, just the simple one I learn at school. Maybe someone who reads better could verify this .

Thanks
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote