Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
toniaus

Default help please

I have recently inherited a keris and have been doing a little research (very early days). Anyway, I had no idea as to the vast spiritual (for lack of a better term) beliefs involved in the ownership of of a keris. Especially the appropriate matching with the owner. It seems there is a lot to learn, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or direction in my attempts to find out more. I don't know if it is very old but I do think it is quite beautiful.
Attached Images

toniaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 01:19 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Welcome ; and try the search function here using the keyword keris .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 01:45 AM   #3
BluErf

Hello,

You have a keris from Sumatra, specifically from the Minangkabau people. Looking at the sheath form, it is probably from the Minang people living near to the coastal area than the interior mountainous Minang heartlands.

Your keris is beautiful and complete, and probably has all its parts 'original' (i.e. appropriate and made specifically for this keris) to each other. So resist temptation to 'upgrade' to 'better' (which usually means 'flashier') hilts and accessories which may not be appropriate.

Just keep the wood lightly oiled (with wood oil pls) to prevent cracking, and the blade clean (use light clear oil and wipe off until nearly dry) to prevent rusting. You may consider etching the blade to bring out the pamor, but please leave that to the professionals or experienced collectors.

Go google for "keris" and you'll find lots of information. Be warned, there's no 'one unified word' for keris. Its diverse and depends on the cultural context of where the keris came from (i.e. Central Javanese vs Non-central Javanese vs Madurese vs Sulawesi Bugis vs Straits Bugis, vs South Sumatrans vs Minang vs Bali/Lombok vs South Malay vs Nortg Malay, etc).

Have an exciting journey!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Alam Shah

Hello and welcome toniaus,

It's a fine Minangkabau piece you have there. This is the longer type used by male warriors. I strongly recommend to keep it the way it is.

For proper care and maintenance of the piece, follow BluErf's recommendation and you probably won't go wrong.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote