Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th February 2006, 03:04 PM   #31
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
BTW Naga Sasra, i count more than 100 keris in this one picture and i am sure you have a few more that aren't showing. Your "disease" is even more advanced than mine. Thanks for this display. I can show it to my wife next time she questions my sanity or wonders where i will put my next keris. She will then see how easy she actually has it.
Wonderful display Naga Sasra !
One can only wonder what further delights await down the hallway .
By what method are they all suspended on the wall ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 10:51 PM   #32
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up

Thank you for the kind words, I can tell you that the use of the walls in my family room and the hallway took a lot of (expensive) negotiation with my wife to get the space allocated.

MANOLO: Living here in South Florida expose my Keris to the highly corrosive enviroment that nature can provide, heat, moisture and an occational bad wind, this problem is solved with the exeption of the bad winds, by having the house at a nearly constant temperature using the air conditioning system year round, this also lower the moisture (humidity) content to an acceptable level.

nechesh: I also have a constant desire to handle my pieces, which I do at least on a yearly basis, where they are cleaned and scented and oiled, and it seems to be working as I have noticed no corrosion on the blades. They are in fact very easy to get down the way they are mounted.

RICK: The hallway is also occupied all the way down and so is the opposite wall in the family room but to a much lesser extend.
They are mounted with three 1 5/8' white panel nails if they are on an angle, two where the gambar meet the gandar and one to support the angle. If they are hung straight just two is necessary. Once the nails are in place I use 28 GA green painted wire (corrosion free) between the two nails and they are locked in place, yet easy to take down and reinstall, the wire can be reused over and over.

Best regards to you all
Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 12:30 AM   #33
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY NEAT DISPLAY OF KERIS, WITH THE WHITE BACKGROUND IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A FLOCK OF KERIS FLYING TOGETHER I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO ADD TO ANY OF MY DISPLAYS LATELY AS I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO HANG THEM ON THE CELING YET PICTURES OF OTHERS COLLECTIONS AND DISPLAYS IS THE NEXT BEST THING TO SEEING THE COLLECTIONS IN PERSON. THANKS FOR THE PIC'S GUYS IT ALWAYS MAKES FOR A GOOD TOPIC.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 03:05 AM   #34
John

Thumbs up

Very impressive display of keris indeed Erik. Your collection has been one of those I've been secretly hoping to see and here we are even though it's only a glimpse of part of what you have. Thanks for sharing and wouldn't mind seeing more.

One must commend you guys for having good understanding wives for allowing displays even in family/public room/halls etc. I only have my private hi-fi room to play with and compromising some sound acoustics.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 01:56 PM   #35
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
One must commend you guys for having good understanding wives for allowing displays even in family/public room/halls etc. I only have my private hi-fi room to play with and compromising some sound acoustics.
A room! You have your own room?
Actually it has been a long and delicate series of high level detante and negotiation that has allowed me to slowly spead my collection around the common spaces of my home and in general my wife has been very good about it. But i would actually prefer to have my own room for my collection since sometimes sharp and pointy delicate antique objects are not so good to have around during a party or when your friends want to bring their small children over.
Erik, i wasn't questioning the care of you blades as i am sure you keep them in very good order indeed. My own personal obsession, however, requires that i handle each and every blade at least every few weeks so i tend to keep them all at ground level reach.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 04:30 PM   #36
JPSF

This system is easy to install, change as needed, makes the knives accessible
and requires no special tools. 2 nails, some 28 gauge black wire and a brass or nylon washer.
Attached Images

JPSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 01:24 AM   #37
John

Quote:
A room! You have your own room?
Actually it has been a long and delicate series of high level detante and negotiation that has allowed me to slowly spead my collection around the common spaces of my home and in general my wife has been very good about it. But i would actually prefer to have my own room for my collection since sometimes sharp and pointy delicate antique objects are not so good to have around during a party or when your friends want to bring their small children over.
Well, the room (15' x 24' x 10') was a dream come true specifically for room acoustics following years of interests in hi-fi. However my other half doesn't want anything sharp edged esp head hunting swords and keris in family areas so no choice; the music have to give some way to Bugis. Can't win them all.
Old 8th February 2006, 01:41 AM   #38
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking O.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Well, the room (15' x 24' x 10') was a dream come true specifically for room acoustics following years of interests in hi-fi. However my other half doesn't want anything sharp edged esp head hunting swords and keris in family areas so no choice; the music have to give some way to Bugis. Can't win them all.
Hi John , have you heard of this company ?
Some prefer vacuum tube amps I hear .
http://www.thoraudio.com/
Old 8th February 2006, 02:18 AM   #39
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Hi John , have you heard of this company ?
Some prefer vacuum tube amps I hear .
http://www.thoraudio.com/
Rick, I'm on vacuum tube amps ie Cary which is US made. . They are great for female vocals, a favourite of mine...
Old 8th February 2006, 02:58 AM   #40
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Ah ha !
Paul who owns Thor is an old schoolmate of mine .
If you're into vacuum tubes then you're hardcore my friend .

Now back to the subject at hand .....
Old 17th February 2006, 04:25 PM   #41
Andrew

Cool

I've got small children, so display in my home is not an option. Here's a wall in my office. The sword hangers are handy, and permit me to easily rotate through examples from my collection.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 05:03 PM   #42
Lew
(deceased)

Andrew

Dhat display of yours looks wonderful

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 05:32 PM   #43
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I've got small children, so display in my home is not an option. Here's a wall in my office. The sword hangers are handy, and permit me to easily rotate through examples from my collection.

Gee Whiz Andrew....maybe i should start collecting dha after all.
Old 17th February 2006, 05:34 PM   #44
Andrew

Quote:
Gee Whiz Andrew....maybe i should start collecting dha after all.
lol. Move along....nothing to see here.
Old 17th February 2006, 05:35 PM   #45
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Andrew

Dhat display of yours looks wonderful

Lew
Thanks. You're dha man, Lew.
Old 18th February 2006, 04:50 AM   #46
Lee
EAAF Staff

Naga Sasra, that sweeping display just blows me away, fabulous even if many are out of reach. Speaking of out of reach, I put several items at ladder level several years ago after a good waxing:
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 06:14 PM   #47
galvano

for me, the exposure, it is only when friends want to see my collection.
But in the future, I would have a room for my collection. 5 meters * 6 meters
galvano
Attached Images

galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 05:18 PM   #48
Luc LEFEBVRE

Default Display African weapons

I hang the knives at the wall or I used magnetic stands.
Luc
Attached Images

Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 05:30 PM   #49
nechesh

Hey Luc, where do you get those stands?
Old 19th February 2006, 05:33 PM   #50
Luc LEFEBVRE

Default Stands

I do it myself & with a friend who can works the metal (cut sheet of metal)
Luc
Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 12:21 AM   #51
Titus Pullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvano
for me, the exposure, it is only when friends want to see my collection.
But in the future, I would have a room for my collection. 5 meters * 6 meters
galvano
Looking at the pictures of the Japanese swords, and lances...it seems to show that the Siamese and the Japs fought in similar fashions when using weapons, and maybe even tactics and strategies. The long lances with the curved cutting blade looks exactly like the ones the Siamese use, and the one with straight penatrating blade looks almost exacty like the Siamese, except the shaft is a little thinner and shorter, if I can remember correctly.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 02:39 AM   #52
wepnz

So while going across the web I found these pictures from a travel blog that might be inspirational and also show off some nice weapons

and one of the best displays I've seen:

Last edited by wepnz; 19th July 2009 at 02:01 PM.
wepnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 04:02 AM   #53
KuKulzA28

wow... you guys have quite the collections amassed there...
If i could even have just 3-4 really nice antique ethnographic weapons I'd be contend for years...

I have a couple machete-type blades and two swords, a folding knife, and a badik...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 04:43 AM   #54
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here are my displays:
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 07:10 PM   #55
Tatyana Dianova

One of my 'old-style' displays.
Attached Images

Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 08:19 PM   #56
Valjhun

Well... nice displays folk.... I still have a small room wich is begginning to be overcrowded...

And that's nearly a half of my collection, newly aquired pieces toghether wiht stuff I would like to sell (reason downsizing my collection) the other half is with pieces I will never sale is kept in boxes, cos I'm renovating my appartment.
Attached Images

Last edited by Valjhun; 19th July 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 04:22 AM   #57
kahnjar1

Unhappy Security an issue??

I look at the beautiful collections displayed in this thread and wonder about security in this modern age. It seems that ones personal property, which used to be respected by others, is no longer held in this regard. A shame, and an indicment on modern society!
The unfortunate thing about this is that one can no longer safely display their collection in an open room, and it needs to be kept in a secure place, out of sight. Unless one is fortunate enough to have a seperate room which can to some extent be "fortified", there remains only a large safe, or a hidden place to display ones collection. I have the latter, and although not large, only 2m wide x 600mm deep, it has doors which also serve as a display area, and will in fact hold quite a reasonable number of items.
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 06:06 AM   #58
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatyana Dianova
One of my 'old-style' displays.
Very very nice
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:14 AM   #59
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Kerises

Most keris are kept in their bags in a chest except for a few favorites which are displayed .

This is an old family chest which I have selected to store them in .
A sort of Pusaka itself .

There is a play on words in the crest .

Yes Jose, it runs in the family ..
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2009, 04:10 AM   #60
trenchwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I look at the beautiful collections displayed in this thread and wonder about security in this modern age. It seems that ones personal property, which used to be respected by others, is no longer held in this regard. A shame, and an indicment on modern society!
The unfortunate thing about this is that one can no longer safely display their collection in an open room, and it needs to be kept in a secure place, out of sight. Unless one is fortunate enough to have a seperate room which can to some extent be "fortified", there remains only a large safe, or a hidden place to display ones collection. I have the latter, and although not large, only 2m wide x 600mm deep, it has doors which also serve as a display area, and will in fact hold quite a reasonable number of items.
kahnjar 1. Very nice collection, and excellent use of a small space. With room for more. I do have one observation... The tension, and pressure on the sling of your awsome Martini Henry, will pinch it two, eventually. I've had similar happen to me.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote