Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th January 2015, 12:35 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Collection & import of edged weapons in Italy.

Can anybody provide an explanation of the legislation governing the import of edged weapons to Italy?

What hoops does a collector of edged weapons in Italy need to jump through?

Going back a few years --- circa 2005 --- a collector of swords, daggers etc needed a permit from the police to collect, and a further permit from the police to allow entry to the country.

I understand the international postal agreements prohibit the carrying of edged weapons into Italy, and possibly other European Union countries, by mail, but my enquiries seem to indicate that carriage by couriers such as DHL is perfectly acceptable, provided the relevant permits have been obtained.

Can anybody clarify the situation?

Thank you.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'll be quite frank with you Alan - I don't get half the restrictions. And I have noticed that some Euro countries have gotten stricter in the past few years. Wording also has a lot to do with how things get through customs in my experience.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 07:58 PM   #3
kai

Hello Alan,

I hope Flavio, Gio or some other Italian members will chime in with info on local regulations.

There is no general ban on edged weapons for EU countries; to the contrary many EU countries have rather lax rules. I have noticed that postal services in some countries claim that a given member state bans weapons and, thus, don't accept parcels with blades even if the restrictions only apply to firearms. A description mentioning the exact item (e. g. "antique klewang, made from metal and wood in Indonesia"") will work out nicely.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 08:07 PM   #4
kai

P.S.:

Quote:
I understand the international postal agreements prohibit the carrying of edged weapons into Italy <snip> by mail, but my enquiries seem to indicate that carriage by couriers such as DHL is perfectly acceptable, provided the relevant permits have been obtained.
I know of 2 EU countries (Denmark and Spain) in which the regular (i. e. formerly national) postal service doesn't allow the shipping of weapons. Other postal services operating in those countries will pose no problems though. To make matters even less predictable, it is often next to impossible to figure out in advance which of several carriers within a given destination country will carry out the delivery of international parcels (differs by country of origin of a given shipment and seems subject to change without notice).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 08:39 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Thank you both, Battara and Kai.

Before posting my question I did do a little bit of research myself, including lengthy discussions with a couple of international courier companies, and our own national postal service here in Australia.

It seems that there is no prohibition per se on the admission of edged weapons into Italy, but as with many countries, if you live in Italy and wish to collect and import edged weapons you do need the proper authorisations.

Yes, precise descriptions on the customs documents are essential, and yes, there are recognised ways in which to move around most prohibitions.

What I was really looking for was the legislation that governs both possession and import.

My experience seems to indicate that the problem is not with the legislation that governs possession and import, but rather with the international agreements to which Poste Italiane is subject.

In fact, according to what I have been told by Australia Post officers, Australia Post is subject to the same agreements, however, the postal authorities in some countries have chosen to apply the strictest possible interpretation to the provisions of the agreement(s) in order to reduce their exposure to risk and to reduce the workload on staff.

This would seem to be the case in Italy.

However, what I would really like to see is the Italian legislation that governs possession and import of edged weapons. If not the actual legislation, then an informed interpretation of it.
Old 21st January 2015, 09:09 PM   #6
spiral

Ive noticed many countries have laws regarding weapons import inc. Oz., not many have laws regarding single edged " old agricultural working tools" like kukri for instance....
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 03:30 PM   #7
GIO

Default Import of edged weapons into Italy

Please apologize for the late reply.
According with the law and its interpretation, for importing edgeg weapons into Italy it is sufficient to have a collection licence for antique/rare/artistic weapons (in Italian: LICENZA DI COLLEZIONE DI ARMI ANTICHE, RARE O ARTISTICHE) which is easily obtainable. It is also advisable to have the weapons sent through an international courier (UPS, DHL or similar) in order to minimize the risk of some complication created by a too zealous customs official. As you can immagine this procedure, though legally perfect, is not 100% sure. One can also ask for an import licence, but this is difficult/impossible to obtain (in violation of the law and of the citizen's right.
I hope that this might help.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:41 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Thank you very much Giovanni, for your input, and your response to my question.

Your remark:-

As you can immagine this procedure, though legally perfect, is not 100% sure.

seems to indicate that as is the case in Australia, and in a number of other countries, officials and bureaucrats sometimes seem to think that they are a law unto themselves.

The defence against this official and bureaucratic stance is to know the applicable laws perfectly, and to be prepared to escalate any infringements upon your rights under the applicable laws to the highest level necessary in order to be permitted to exercise those rights.

I have been forced to confront officialdom and the bureaucracy on many occasions during my life, and these days I simply regard it as something I need to sometimes do in order to live my life as I wish.

No need to get upset, no need to get angry or emotional, just know the law, comply with the law and calmly ensure that your employees ( the officials and bureaucrats) do the same.