Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd December 2014, 12:29 PM   #1
kronckew

Default indian bronze(?) hilt shamshir for comment

found this dog hilted indian sword online yesterday. it's coming home to me shortly. hilt looks too redish for brass & not red enough for copper. will have a look for any markings or grain in the steel.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 08:43 AM   #2
ALEX

not a dog, it is
YALI - a mythical Hindu creature. The hilt is not particularly old. Hard to say anything about the blade, it also looks Indian, but missing ricasso - a non-sharpened part of the cutting edge near the hilt.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 10:22 AM   #3
kronckew

thanks for the info. yali it is. will examine the blade a bit closer for dimensions and markings when it arrives. especially the ricasso or lack thereof. may be a re-hilted blade from elsewhere and elsewhen.

i have another recently made grip in need of a blade that i'll eventually fit. it was full of cutler's cement, brick dust & resin/wax & was a SOB to clean:

edited:

oops. just had another look at the vendor's description again. he did in fact say 'yali head' in it. my bad.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 5th December 2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:50 PM   #4
kronckew

shamshir arrived:

no ricasso as noted. he grip is actually copper with a silver coating worn in spots exposing the copper. 30 in. blade, 1 in. at the languet. blade is very sharp down to the languet. some rust spots and what appear to be forging marks. no stamps. the grip is fairly uncomfortable. the yali bites your finger when you move if the finger is in the grip. 650 grams weight. the wood scabbard is covered in a thin leather with decorative lines and hatching areas.
Old 14th December 2014, 09:13 PM   #5
AkaaliSingh

My two pennies worth:

It does appear to be a new piece/tourist piece in full respect.. I've seen afew of these. I used to own a horse headed version...

Maybe 60-80 years old at the latest? i reckon..

mine had the extract same scabbard but was blunt with no bevel as if it never been sharperned.
AkaaliSingh is offline   Reply With Quote