Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th December 2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Nonoy Tan

Default Philippines Ethnographic Weapons Museum

It is apparent this forum has a significant number of Philippine ethnographic weapon enthusiasts, not to mention expertise. There are lots of talented people in this forum, sharing a common interest in preserving artifacts of history and culture.

It is also apparent that the diversity in form of Philippine ethnograhic weapons is wide - enough to sustain interest. The volume of available specimens is also huge - enough to fill a medium sized museum.

Just thinking out loud ... maybe it is time to ponder on the idea of putting up a museum in the Philippines, that is dedicated to ethnographic weaponry - with expertise largely coming from Forum members.

I would like to solilcit the opinion of Forum members on this idea.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 05:06 AM   #2
migueldiaz

Nonoy, I'm with you
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,

I agree, in principle. My main concern is security/preservation/maintenance. This topic was touched on elsewhere in this forum, in a current thread (posted by freebooter, I think).

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Dimasalang

Just recently the National Museum in Manila opened up "The War and Dissent" exhibit...the entire focus is of the early US colonization of the Philippines from 1898 to 1915. This is a temporary exhibit that will run from Dec to March 2010. It would be great to start off something similar to this in the Philippines with the help of the National Museum. First as a temporary exhibit, and if it is successful, then possibly as a permanent exhibit. Maybe feature weapons similar to the display at the Macao exhibit. Other museums that may be interested to help with a weapons exhibit would probably be the Lopez Museum and the GSIS Museum. GSIS is the government building that houses several paintings and historical artifacts...plus they are located on government grounds for added security.

http://waranddissent.com/
War & Dissent (The U.S. In The Philippines, 1898-1915) is an exhibit presented by the Lopez of Balayan, Batangas Foundation and in partnership with the National Museum of the Philippines and Fundación Santiago, this exhibition was produced by the Presidio Trust, Presidio of San Francisco, California, Golden Gate National Parks.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 06:54 AM   #5
KuKulzA28

Perhaps a good theme to portray is the diversity of the Filipino arms (and the warriors and cultures from whence they came from) and also all the different groups that resisted the Americans... from the Filipinos in Luzon to the Pulahan and Dios-Dios in the Visayas, and then the Moros in the south. And also to make clear distinctions between the different cultures, tactics, warriors, etc.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Nonoy Tan

I am sure that this idea of putting up a dedicated museum is not new. However, it has remains a dream up to now.

Whether or not the discussion on this topic, will bear immediate fruit is not very important at this point, in my opinion. The fact that we are able to document this discussion in this Forum - for others to read - is already a step forward. Readers will be able to gain information and insights from this discussion, from where to possibly develop a feasibility study, and push the idea another step forward.

I think that long-term sustainability of the museum is the main issue, and not so much the technical aspects (e.g. museum management, collections management, etc.). These technical matters can be adequately addressed if the museum is able to generate sufficient internally generated revenues as a private organization (i.e. not government owned or controlled).
Old 7th December 2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
It is apparent this forum has a significant number of Philippine ethnographic weapon enthusiasts, not to mention expertise. There are lots of talented people in this forum, sharing a common interest in preserving artifacts of history and culture.

It is also apparent that the diversity in form of Philippine ethnograhic weapons is wide - enough to sustain interest. The volume of available specimens is also huge - enough to fill a medium sized museum.

Just thinking out loud ... maybe it is time to ponder on the idea of putting up a museum in the Philippines, that is dedicated to ethnographic weaponry - with expertise largely coming from Forum members.

I would like to solilcit the opinion of Forum members on this idea.

nonoy,
i believe this is an excellent idea! the sustainability will indeed be the primary issue, for i really hope that these heirlooms will hopefully remain with us for generations to come. perhaps, an exhibit dedicated to this weapons for a couple months similar to, or perhaps, as an addendum to the current War and Dissent Exhibit dimasalang mentioned just to see how successful it will be.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 04:22 PM   #8
vampire

Default philippine museum on line

hai
i am new on this thing
but let me try
i did think why no start a philippine weapon museum on line ?
some of the members could put photos of there best examples
on it ,this whit there info on the weapon
i like to see what other members of this forum think
please let me know
a grt to all
jan
vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire
hai
i am new on this thing
but let me try
please let me know
a grt to all
jan
Hi Jan,

Welcome to the forum....
uhhhmm....I am still waiting for your photo's....

Groet,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 01:45 AM   #10
migueldiaz

Quote:
hai
i am new on this thing
but let me try
please let me know
a grt to all
jan
jan, that's a great idea.

in a way, this forum has been serving already as a virtual museum.

but a dedicated website for philippine sandata (ethnic weapons) is surely nice to have (or websites of any other country's weapons for that matter).

as for the physical museum, that's also good to have of course, as nothing beats appreciating an object in 'person'.

in any case, your comments are much appreciated.

dear all --

as for the care of donated weapons to this proposed museum, i think it's a matter of housing the weapons in an appropriate museum.

obviously a typical museum uses a "shotgun" approach, that is, it tries to cover every ethnic object.

thus the museum being proposed by nonoy has to have focus on ethnic weaponry, for the proper care of the objects to be had.

alternatively, it can be a 'museum' that's part of an existing institution (e.g., the philippine national museum), but with a dedicated staff and financial grant ...
Old 8th December 2009, 02:32 AM   #11
Dimasalang

Quote:
I think that long-term sustainability of the museum is the main issue, and not so much the technical aspects (e.g. museum management, collections management, etc.). These technical matters can be adequately addressed if the museum is able to generate sufficient internally generated revenues as a private organization (i.e. not government owned or controlled).
Nonoy, in another thread I posted about "other" museums in the Philippines. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...7&postcount=32 I would hate to see a small privately owned museum being handled by folks who may just turn around and walk out with the weapons...which is why I would definitely recommend to seek one of the larger well established museums for help. Generating any type of revenue would be tough as well...given the average price for entrance in to a museum can be anywhere from free to $2US(for adults). Just something to keep in mind.
Old 8th December 2009, 02:55 AM   #12
Dimasalang

Quote:
hai
i am new on this thing
but let me try
please let me know
a grt to all
jan
Welcome to the forum!

Starting a webpage is a great idea as well. Maybe go further and establish a named organization made up of the members here and then build the site. That would give some creditability and seriousness to the cause and what we aim to do...and all the while it would be a club where we get to enjoy each others weapons.

This forum has a wealth of information and some seriously rare/unique/exquisite examples. I am happy to have found this place, as it gives me insight and allows me to see, what I believe to be, works of art from my country that I have never seen before, never heard of, or never even would have imagined existed. Thanks to all the members here for sharing! As mentioned previously, the only problem is some of these examples are in old posts dating back several years, and you would have to search/dig for them, some I would almost say were lost in unrelated threads. A webpage would organize everything...having everything listed with info and threads from this forum linked to the webpage for further detail and research.
Old 9th December 2009, 12:52 AM   #13
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
This forum has a wealth of information and some seriously rare/unique/exquisite examples. xxx As mentioned previously, the only problem is some of these examples are in old posts dating back several years, and you would have to search/dig for them, some I would almost say were lost in unrelated threads. A webpage would organize everything...having everything listed with info and threads from this forum linked to the webpage for further detail and research.
Dimasalang, I'm actually presently fooling around with such a concept.

Please see this blog I've just started, Filhistory.com.

It's nowhere anywhere near what you've described. But I'm trying to get there.

For starters, I've posted all the Macao exhibit pieces, then I followed it up with the Krieger plates. Currently, I'm posting some of the pieces I've collected.

My next step is to post also the pieces sold by Artzi and Erik (Farrow). A million thanks by the way to Artzi and to Erik (don't know if Erik is here), for granting me permission to use their pics in my website.

My only problem is time! Work gets in the way you see Like for the whole month of November I was not able to post anything (and December may end up the same).

Anyway, if you (or the others) can put up a similar or better website, then the more the merrier ...

PS - I respect a lot intellectual property rights. Thus on a best efforts basis, I always indicate if available the source of the photos I post in that blog
Old 9th December 2009, 10:00 AM   #14
Nonoy Tan

Developing a virtual museum is a fantastic idea.

So, is having a physical museum... depending on the museum's objectives or purpose.

What do you think should be the primary objectives? From there, it becomes easier to make rational choices.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Nonoy, in another thread I posted about "other" museums in the Philippines. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...7&postcount=32 I would hate to see a small privately owned museum being handled by folks who may just turn around and walk out with the weapons...which is why I would definitely recommend to seek one of the larger well established museums for help. Generating any type of revenue would be tough as well...given the average price for entrance in to a museum can be anywhere from free to $2US(for adults). Just something to keep in mind.
I agree with Dimasalang. I was warned about this possiblity at the Antiques Road Show when it came into town.

However a virtual museum is an excellent idea for now and can be accessed by all. Many of my pieces were in the Macao exhibit and the others can be seen on this forum. (though posting them again for the virtual exhibit would be fine by me ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:35 PM   #16
Robert
EAAF Staff

A virtual museum sounds like a great idea. If there is anything in my collection that would be of interest just let me know and I will be more than happy to furnish pictures.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 03:45 AM   #17
Nonoy Tan

Quote:

On the idea of a virtual museum, I suggest we support this effort.
Old 12th December 2009, 04:59 AM   #18
Nonoy Tan

Quote:
I would hate to see a small privately owned museum being handled by folks who may just turn around and walk out with the weapons...which is why I would definitely recommend to seek one of the larger well established museums for help. Generating any type of revenue would be tough as well...given the average price for entrance in to a museum can be anywhere from free to $2US(for adults). Just something to keep in mind.
I would hate to see the loss of the weapons, too. I believe that this is an issue that can be addressed by proper governance of the museum (by the Board of Directors), and control systems (by museum management).

The larger museums, I believe will help especially in providing technical assistance, and maybe having a seat in the Board if an ethnographic weapons museum is consistent with their objectives. Certainly, these larger museums also have weapons in their collections. However these are kept in storage ... maybe because it is not their focus and have to allocate limited resources to many other objects of historical and cultural importance.

Quote:
I agree, in principle. My main concern is security/preservation/maintenance.
Indeed, it is a major concern. I believe that is a function of professional management and governance... and of course, sustainability,i.e. having access to funds that will sustain the museum.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:43 AM   #19
Sajen

Quote:
hai
i am new on this thing
but let me try
please let me know
a grt to all
jan
Hi Jan,
welcome to the forum! I like the idea of an online musem, great suggestion!
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 04:19 PM   #20
vampire

Default lets work on it to get it done

hai brothers
i see many of us like the museum,great
lets see how we can do it
i mineself have no expirense with computers
but i think is great to have all krisses on line
all on type and on time and place of origin
also could be a stand against fakes atc.
and if we have many on line we could try to make a
timeline and see the evolution of the kris
and the connection between the philippine kris and the
others.
so if one of you ,that is a light in computing knows how
to start this please let me know
for now a greet jan the vampire
Old 12th December 2009, 04:30 PM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
On the idea of a virtual museum, I suggest we support this effort.
Someone will have to acquire a Server to host the Museum .
There will be regular costs associated with this which would have to be paid for .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz

For starters, I've posted all the Macao exhibit pieces, then I followed it up with the Krieger plates. Currently, I'm posting some of the pieces I've collected.

My next step is to post also the pieces sold by Artzi and Erik (Farrow). A million thanks by the way to Artzi and to Erik (don't know if Erik is here), for granting me permission to use their pics in my website.

My only problem is time! Work gets in the way you see Like for the whole month of November I was not able to post anything (and December may end up the same).

Anyway, if you (or the others) can put up a similar or better website, then the more the merrier ...

PS - I respect a lot intellectual property rights. Thus on a best efforts basis, I always indicate if available the source of the photos I post in that blog
www.filhistory.com An outstanding effort and very intensive work. I like the ideas being thrown around and if I can help in any way, please ask.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 11:32 AM   #23
Nonoy Tan

Hi Rick,

What would be the specs of the server and software?

Thanks,

Nonoy
Old 13th December 2009, 03:31 PM   #24
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I've no idea Nonoy .
There are numerous hosting companies on the web .

I would guess costs to host a simple on line museum might cost a few hundred a year ..

Price would probably be determined by the amount of Server space used .
Old 13th December 2009, 04:35 PM   #25
vampire

Default how we do it

here me again
oke hire a sever but than ,ever one will try to put his things
on it
there must be some one that is a revery
because if every one puts his things there with his story
it wil be wild west
i think it sould be on type of wapon first
than on provincince , with a time line
also there sould be place to show things that are similar
from other asian countries
and also i think i should be a clean historical centre
i mean no people try to sell some thing
oke any input of data photos of dealers is oke

he but who the hell i am i
you and you let me know what you think

for now have a good night
the vampire
Old 13th December 2009, 05:14 PM   #26
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

After viewing Miguel's site I think he's got a great start underway .

I would suggest working with and adding to his site rather than start a whole new one .
Old 13th December 2009, 08:26 PM   #27
vampire

Default school or museum

maybe being european ,i feel there is a difference
between a school site and a museum site.
for years we need a site to see what there is and
what is real ,and also to show what is fake
because if all things on a museum site ,have a record
and a style ,we all can see what is from our historical past
and what is made by many dealers on ebay
that is what i think .
a site like a handbook is nice ,very nice but not what many
here have in mind
we will see , we will see
jan smit amsterdam holland netherlands
the vampire
Old 14th December 2009, 12:35 PM   #28
Nonoy Tan

Indeed, the site by migueldiaz is a step forward.

I am willing to lend my collection.

Hey guys, let us give him the support!
Old 14th December 2009, 06:21 PM   #29
David
Keris forum moderator

Before we all start uploading detailed images of our collection up to any website we should all think about how to make the images secure. Your actual weapons are not going to walk out this virtual door, but unless you want to see all of our nice toys ending up as fake auctions on eBay we must be sure that software is in place that prevents the images from being easily lifted off the site or we will see someone trying to take advantage of our good work somewhere. The image below was a simple click-and-drag off Miguel's site.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 08:45 PM   #30
vampire

Smile good point david

hai
david
i think you made a very good point
realy very good
i did not think about that and there are already
to many fakes on ebay and more
but how to protect the photo