Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th December 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Iain

Default 20th century takouba (complete)

I don't usually buy newer takouba but on this one I made an exception because it had the complete baldric. The leather work, textile and pommel style indicate a north Cameroon origin.

This is certainly not that old but has been nicely maintained. The blade is a bit crude in the finish, but thick, stiff and sharp with attention towards a functional item. Certainly not a flimsy sheet steel blade as seen on some later swords. The form is a clear imitation of a military sabre blade.

Mainly I picked this up because it's a nice complete piece and shows off the colorful style many older swords would doubtless have displayed in their prime. The price was 'right' and it will look nice on the wall.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wonderful example Iain! and thank you for always noting key details and features in your observations which help distinguish characteristics helping us learn more on classifying these swords. As you well point out, it is fascinating to see how these swords appeared in full trappings which certainly were maintained in tribal traditions.
Again, it reminds us that a true ethnographic specimen such as found in these takouba does not necessarily need to be 'old' to represent such long standing forms and traditions.
Thank you!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Ian,

very nice sword! What do you think how old it is?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Ian,

very nice sword! What do you think how old it is?

Regards,

Detlef
Hi Detlef,

It's hard to say precisely, the blade and pommel seem quite well done. So I would guess perhaps something in the 1930s-40s range maybe? The leather and tassels of course can be later. Or of course the whole thing can be later as well.But the blade is pretty well done, with a good bevel and edge and the pommel shows a lot of patina. This makes me think it has just been nicely maintained and has a bit of age although certainly not a truly old item.

Regards,
Iain
Old 15th December 2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain,
Just a feeling - I would allocate it a little bit more to the west from the North Cameroon (baldric, style of braiding on the handle /?/). You can find very simmilar sword (blade) on this nice web:http: www.africanarms.com. Also, they used very simmilar, localy forged - but new, narrow and thick blade on this Mandingo sword.
Regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Hi Iain,
Just a feeling - I would allocate it a little bit more to the west from the North Cameroon (baldric, style of braiding on the handle /?/). You can find very simmilar sword (blade) on this nice web:http: www.africanarms.com. Also, they used very simmilar, localy forged - but new, narrow and thick blade on this Mandingo sword.
Regards,
Martin
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the comments, my idea about region was based on photos like this one: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3133/2...d85d3200_o.jpg

From Ngaoundéré. I saw similar of course from Nigerian side of the border as well.

Of course africanarms.com is fantastic website and the owner (Wolf) is also a member here.