Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Emanuel

Default About the Dussäge

Hello,
Today, while visiting the Royal Ontario Museum, I came across an interesting sabre/cutlass which was labelled as a Norwegian Dussäge with a German blade, from the the 1600s. The thing is, it looked like a kilij with basket hilt...it had a decent curve and the yelman. Didn't have a camera to take pictures unfortunately.
Is this common for these swords? Could anyone provide more info and pictures of actual Dussäge?

Thanks,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Emanuel

Closest thing I could find in Stone is "Dusack, Dussack: of Hungarian or Behemian origin...soon adopted throughout Germany by the middle and lower classes as an excellent weapon...single piece of iron, one part of which was fashioned into a cutlass blade..."
This sounds like it, but no pictures...
Old 18th January 2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Emanuel

A quick google search turns up a lot about the dussack - apparently also known as dusägge - but none of the pics and woodcuts so far look anything like the kilij I saw the my museum Maybe this is the same old error of labelling ottoman/islamic swords as miscelaneous scimitars...
Any comments/pics would be most appreciated
Emanuel
Old 18th January 2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Marc

I know the one you mean. It’s beautiful.

"Dussack", "Dussäge"... is quite used, generically, to describe short, curved swords of centre-north European origin from about 15th - 18th c., as well as the training instruments utilised to learn its use.. Many featured a yelman of sorts, and can be related to what later was known as a "cutlass". To find pieces similar to the one you saw, though, you may have better luck searching for "Sinclair Sabre" or Saber. This is how many of those were labelled by the XIX c. collectors/academics due to a spurious history that linked the spread of those in Europe to a Scottish mercenary and his men, who were allegedly defeated in an ambush in Norway. The story goes saying that from the basket-hilts that were taken as spoils of that battle by the victors, this typology emerged. The anecdote is indeed spurious, as are many of the early typological justifications put forth with dismaying easiness by quite a number of those who studied Arms and armour in the 19th. c., but the name, as so many others, stuck, and have survived up to our days, for the desperation of some.

Of course, if one wants to keep a bit of seriousness in the study, has to know the facts and discard the adornments, but, in this case, as many others, I can't help but thinking that, as the Italians say, "se non è vero, è ben trovato" (loosely, "Even if it's not true, it is well conceived").

A couple pics, from around the web:

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Emanuel

Hello Mark,
The dussäge at the museum was indeed also described as a "SInclair Sword" and a short synopsys was given about his ficticious incursion through Norway into Sweden.
Thanks for the pics, the second/bottom one is closest to what I saw, but still not the same. The one at the ROM was much more curved and the yelman was very well defined. The blade was somewhat narrower as well, and -not too sure- but it seemed a bit thin as well.
I will go again in June and take pictures to post.
Emanuel
Old 18th January 2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Joe

Something like this?
Attached Images

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote