Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th February 2010, 10:37 PM   #1
M ELEY

Default Spanish colonial, Malay pirate or...

I know I've seen this hilt style before, but can't quite pin-point it. The flat disc guard looks Span colonial, as do the bolts/screws through the hilt. The odd quillon reminds me of Singhalese kastanes as does the odd twisty metalwork. The blade is plain, tip rounded and unmarked, typical trade blade.
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
M ELEY

Default Another pic...

Opps! 3rd won't load-
Old 8th February 2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well you've done it again Mark!!! You find the most intriguing stuff, and especially interesting items that seem to ever expand the envelope of things Spanish Colonial.
It would be good to see this overall, but the hilt detail is excellent.
At the outset, it does indeed seem Spanish colonial, with elements that allude to 18th century smallswords. The fixtures do seem Spanish, and most fascinating of all is the quillon terminal.....it appears remarkably like the rattles from the well known occupant of Mexican deserts..the rattlesnake!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 11:59 PM   #4
M ELEY

Hello Jim! Good to hear from you. Sorry about the minimum pictures, but that was all I had immediate access to. Yes, that quillon does indeed look like a rattlesnake's tail! I hadn't thought of that! Do you think the grip on this one is probably horn? I don't have this item in hand, but am considering a purchase-
Old 9th February 2010, 01:42 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mark,
I am really not good at assessing material, especially by photos, and of course it could be horn, though wood seems more likely. The spiral like coil around the grip seems like it narrows at the bottom like a snakes tail. The bite of the snake seems like a theme on some of the Mexican knives and edged weapons of 19th century.....as always trying to recall where I saw it.
Sure would like to see the blade.....really interesting piece. During the early 19th century, there was a great deal of imitation of European regalia and court type swords etc. Many of these unusual items were composite of military style and courtswords with multibar guards with crossguards under dishguards, and others. This seems an interpretation of a shellguard with the pas d ane space between it and the regular guard assembly.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 01:25 PM   #6
kisak

Rather looks like the offspring of a smallsword and a hirschfänger.
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote