Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th August 2021, 02:12 PM   #1
JT88

Default Unusual Shashka

Good morning everyone, I have an unusual shashka here that I am trying to figure out. I believe the blade is an 1881 model but the fittings are very unusual. I've taken it to another group and many have said fake, but from what I can discern the ivory is authentic marine ivory. There is also aging/patina within the wire on the handle which would be incredibly difficult to do in a modern setting.

The group said the running wolf is in line with late 19th century West Georgian stamps.

The leather is clearly at least semi-new, it has some aging to it, but I'd say no more than 20 years.

I question if this is an older blade with modern fittings to be "faked" why use authentic ivory? It could still be considered a prized piece refitted with a family blade I suppose.

The style is called Skan, shown here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skan%27
A Georgian/Russian type of jewelry.

The 84 stamps mean the fittings are supposedly silver; however, I have not had the blade long enough to see any of the usual silver patina that comes with age. I do have my doubts about it being silver.

Thanks for the look!
Attached Images

JT88 is offline   Reply With Quote