Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
ericlaude

Default What is its name

Hello gentlemen,
I bought this form of tulwar this morning,someone can tell me the real name and the history of this indian sword please?
This is heavy sword with straight blade widening to its maximum width of almost 3" wide at the tip with a few nicks. Single edge blade flaring at the point to purposly made uneven edge and becoming double edge. Very attractive blade with raised gold damascened decorations of lions, human figures,and flowers foliage. The gold decoration is in great shape, no rust or pitting. Overall length is 33-1/4".
Thanks for advance.
Attached Images

ericlaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 08:47 PM   #2
laEspadaAncha

I believe it is a khanda.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This appears to me to be an extremely attractive ceremonial or possibly parade sword of Rajput style, and most likely 20th century. I realize these type weapons that are highly embellished, in this case with images of Hindi deities, are often regarded as fashioned to satisfy the desire for souveniers by British officers of the Raj, but I think many of these weapons were actually intended to serve ceremonially.

The hilt is indeed a tulwar hilt, which corresponds to the rather arbitrary classifications in Pant ("Indian Arms and Armour", p.118, fig. 304) as a 'Udaipur' style . What should be noted is that the blade is indeed an interpretation of a khanda blade of classical form, as seen on iconography in Harshanath Temple in Rajasthan, and the heavy blade with angled spear shape is of about 11th century style. In sanskit literature the form is termed 'shulagra' (Pant p.104).

The ceremonies of Karga Shapna (worship of the sword) are described by Col. James Tod ("Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan", London, 1829), and ceremonial khanda is removed from the hall of arms (awadsala) and carried in procession.

Without closer examination to determine actual age of this sword, it is hard to say how old it might be, and ceremonial swords were typically very well cared for. Many Rajput weapons of considerable age carry these kinds of elaborate motifs, and I am uncertain on more modern versions of weapons in these categories. Whatever the case, it is what I would call a Rajput style khanda with tulwar hilt in ceremonial motif.

Thank you for sharing it here!!!
All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Need better close ups, but one of the panels has Krisna playing his flute in it.

I also see 2 elephants at the bottom of one side - a double auspicious sign

I wonder if the other side is either a sitting Siva or a revealed form of Visnu sitting, but again need better close ups to tell for sure. This would also help determine the female figures below them.

All of these panels are Hindu in origin in any case.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 12:46 AM   #5
spiral

I hope Im wrong for your sake Eric but to my eye looking at the manufacture,exact blade shape & bevels etc. it looks tottaly non functional & a virtualy brand new construction to my eye. But I am shore more expirienced forumites can tell you exactly what it is & when it was made..

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 04:16 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually what I meant by ceremonial was 'non functional' as far as a combat weapon, in my post just before Jose's, and clearly bevels rather than sharpening would suggest symbolic or processional use. Rajasthan remains a highly industrial area, and many types of weapons are of course still produced there.
While realizing this is quite possibly reasonably new, which is what I meant by 20th century, I will await the more experienced forumites to assess more accurately. In the meantime, in my humble opinion, since traditional ceremonies are still practiced in these regions, I think that there is a good possibility with the devotional motif, auspicious symbols and atavistic design of the blade, it may have been made for such use......that is ceremonial.
I think a very attractive example, that much I can say
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 03:10 AM   #7
ericlaude

Default thanks

Thank you very much .
ericlaude is offline   Reply With Quote