Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2019, 05:43 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Massive Dha/Daab With an Unique Blade

This all business dha/daab will win no awards for aesthetics, but it does have some interesting features. The blade is heavy and massive and 1/2in. thick at the forte. Whether held with two hands or one, it essentially becomes a cleaver for the one handling it! The hilt is hardwood with an iron bolster, pommel and reinforcing rings.

It is the blade that is of special interest. It has a somewhat unique shape for starters, but the forging of the blade looks rather complex. The upper portion is pattern welded, but as we look towards the center of the blade are we looking at a wide quench zone with a further hardened edge, or a wide inserted edge with a quenched edge??? I am not sure I have seen such wide distinctions in another blade.

Comments and opinions welcomed. I am particularly interested in nailing down the construction of the blade.

Dimensions:
Overall length 25.25in
Blade length: 14in.
Blade's widest point: 2.5in.
Thickest point of the spine, the forte: 1/2in.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 07:16 PM   #2
ariel

Fabulous!
The engineering is impeccable and very complex. My guess it was a differential hardening because I can seem to see traces of lamination even there. Would be interesting to polish and perhaps even etch the edge to be sure, but I would value its patination more than just knowledge. And the vestigial point would allow for stabbing action. So clever.... It must be very heavy and not “fast”, but it would shatter anything in its path. Massive steel ferrule and pommel assure structural integrity.

This bladesmith would win Forged in Fire in a heartbeat!

Charles, how the heck do you manage to find one incredible sword after another, and all of them with a twist? You must have the most intriguing collection I can imagine, something that Hales would be proud to show. My hat is off to you.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Could this have been used for executions; or is the handle a bit short for that purpose?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 04:54 AM   #4
drac2k

Great sword, just the way I like them; massive and meant for business.
It reminds me more of a Ram Dao than a Dha.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

My initial impression is that this chopper is Northern Thai or Lao in origin,based on the blade shape and the decoration along the spine of the blade. Drac has drawn an interesting analogy to a ram dao, and it should be noted that there has been considerable Hindu influence in Thailand, to the extent that the Thai have their own version of the Ramayama. I'm checking with some Thai sources on this one and will get back to you with any further information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Could this have been used for executions; or is the handle a bit short for that purpose?
Rick, my understanding from a couple of sources is that executions were carried out with ordinary swords that were not especially heavy or otherwise modified for that purpose.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Mercenary

In this thread
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24506
it was an utility knife.

Last edited by Mercenary; 18th February 2019 at 12:57 PM.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #7
ariel

Perhaps the general forms may be somewhat similar, suggesting common geographic origin ( see Ian’s post), but the size, the sturdiness, the decoration and the complexity of forging of the Charles’ example is not a utility knife. This one is a WEAPON:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote