Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Flavio

Default How to disconnect the handle of a tulwar?

Hi all, i have a tulwar that is a very piece of rust, but cleaning it the blade seems good. Unfortunatly the handle is in very bad conditions, so i'd like to remove the blade from the handle to keep the blade and wait if i will be able to find another handle. How can i remove the handle (that is very firm)? Thank you
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 02:40 PM   #2
RhysMichael

I have never taken on apart myself but I have been told that heat can remove it. I have also heard you can still get Zaje Sefid the original resin used to secure them. I'll see what more I can find
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Flavio

Thank you Michael, i'm waiting
Old 23rd December 2006, 02:54 PM   #4
RhysMichael

It seems most resins fail at about 200 degrees. I do not know what type of handle it is and how that would effect any koftgari and such. Phillip or Jose would be the people to ask about that. That temperature should not affect the blade. I have read that boiling water will work but other sources tell me it is not hot enough. Some tulwar hilts have a pin running through the tang, near or between the "quillions" but usually they are held together solely by the adhesive Ariel can probably be much more help on this

If you cannot get the original here is a recipe for cutlers resin

http://blackpowderonline.com/cutlrsresin.htm
Old 23rd December 2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Flavio

Thank you very much I will try and i will not have problems with koftgari because the handle it's completly covered with deep rust . Thank you again
Old 23rd December 2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Bill M

Nomally with resin mounts I hold the handle and gently heat the blade near the handle with a propane torch while holding the handle in an upright position. The heat travels upward into the handle, melting the resin.

If you keep your hand on the handle, (or the blade) you can guage the heat buildup. Take it slowly so you do not remove the temper from the blade, but should come loose in about 20-30 seconds.

In your case, since you do not care about the handle, I would heat the handle with the blade tip up until the handle falls off.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 03:22 PM   #7
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Nomally with resin mounts I hold the handle and gently heat the blade near the handle with a propane torch while holding the handle in an upright position. The heat travels upward into the handle, melting the resin.

If you keep your hand on the handle, (or the blade) you can guage the heat buildup. Take it slowly so you do not remove the temper from the blade, but should come loose in about 20-30 seconds.

In your case, since you do not care about the handle, I would heat the handle with the blade tip up until the handle falls off.
Thanks Bill
As I said above I have never done it only read about it. So its always good to hear from someone with experience. Some sources ('Persian arms and Armor'-Museum Malbrook ISBN 83-86206-31-4 Plate 38,39) talk about molten alum was poured in first then a plug of pine rosin was added to waterproof the assembly. I don't know the temperature that alum melts at

Sorry this stuff is comming piecemeal, Flavio I am adding it as I dig out the stuff I had read on it before when I was thinking about repairing a tulwar I had