Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th September 2008, 01:04 PM   #1
celtan

Default Plz help ID medieval Main Aigu LH dagger

Any ideas on period and origins? I have my own, but I welcome input from others.

Manuel Luis Iravedra

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 05:06 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I ignore its age or origins, but i know one thing: when i grow up, i want one of these .
Pritty old, though ... XVII century ?
... Spanish?
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Paul Macdonald

Hi Manuel,

A nice piece you have there!

It is a C17th style `main gauche` dagger, designed for use in the non-sword hand to accompany a rapier.

This type of dagger is gripped with the thumb on the flat of the blade, on the side opposite the side ring, which provides knuckle protection. When defending your left side (assuming your right handed and using the dagger with your left), in either high or low line, upon receiving your opponents sword blade in defence, the knuckles would be vulnerable to coming into contact with the blade without a side ring.

To be honest, I would need a closer look to determine authenticity of this piece, as the pommel style appears to be a much later urn style, which is not generally used on edged weapons until the late C18th.

Also, main gauches from the C17th were most often made to match a specific rapier, with detail mirrored in the blade, hilt/pommel and grip.
The grip pattern shown here is a carving style seen on rapiers and daggers, but here it is very shallow carving and wood only, where it would usually be carved much deeper and steel wire covered.
Main gauche terminals were invariably always wire turks heads also.

These are my initial observations which I hope are helpful.

Could I ask for a specific close-up of the ring-side face of the blade, centering on the 3rd set of drilled holes in the middle fullers?

All the best,

Macdonald
Paul Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 02:13 AM   #4
celtan

Hi Paul,

Guess what? I made that particular question regarding the ring back at SFI. Nobody knew what it was for, and there was even someone who actually told me it was to place the thumb inside to help control the dagger...

I have another dagger from the same source, and it does have a grip covered in metal wire. I'll post it sometime soon.

Myself, I believe its a 16th C. main gauche. Whether spanish, french, german or italian I have no clue.

Thanks for all your very interesting information.

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Macdonald
Hi Manuel,

A nice piece you have there!

It is a C17th style `main gauche` dagger, designed for use in the non-sword hand to accompany a rapier.

This type of dagger is gripped with the thumb on the flat of the blade, on the side opposite the side ring, which provides knuckle protection. When defending your left side (assuming your right handed and using the dagger with your left), in either high or low line, upon receiving your opponents sword blade in defence, the knuckles would be vulnerable to coming into contact with the blade without a side ring.

To be honest, I would need a closer look to determine authenticity of this piece, as the pommel style appears to be a much later urn style, which is not generally used on edged weapons until the late C18th.

Also, main gauches from the C17th were most often made to match a specific rapier, with detail mirrored in the blade, hilt/pommel and grip.
The grip pattern shown here is a carving style seen on rapiers and daggers, but here it is very shallow carving and wood only, where it would usually be carved much deeper and steel wire covered.
Main gauche terminals were invariably always wire turks heads also.

These are my initial observations which I hope are helpful.

Could I ask for a specific close-up of the ring-side face of the blade, centering on the 3rd set of drilled holes in the middle fullers?

All the best,

Macdonald

Last edited by celtan; 12th September 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12th September 2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Ed

It's a nice piece but I'd venture that it is later than 16th c. The grips are a bit problematic. That terminal on the pommel says 17th. c. to me.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think this is an extremely attractive piece, which seems to correspond to 17th century Italian left hand daggers in the blade, crossguard ring and the pierced holes in the grooves of the blade with pronounced central ridge.

What puzzles me, as Paul has noted, is the neoclassical urn style pommel, which I cannot seem to find similar examples of in Wallace Collection, A.V.B.Norman, nor Peterson, at least not exact. Despite that, it still feels 17th century even though that pommel shape seems more in line with the neoclassical spadroons of later 18th c.

Ok Manuel, could you puuullleeeze reveal your thoughts on this dagger?

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Paul Macdonald

Hi Manuel,

Eek! Putting your thumb through the ring leaves the knuckles open to contact with your opponents sword blade and you`re also more likely to break your own thumb!

Looking closer at the blade, I also have a couple more observations.

Look closely at the correspondence between the drilled holes and the fullers. All original C17th pierced blades that I have seen have the drilled shapes crafted in the middle of each fuller, as this process is done after the blade has been forged to shape and fullered, and before hardening and tempering.
It also ensures that the blademaker places his specific drilled and filed detail exactly where he wants it.

In the case of this dagger, several of the holes on the ring side flat of the blade are not so central to the fullers and in some cases almost half on-half off the fuller and rising ribs.
My first thought was that this may have been drilled and ground to shape by stock removal rather than being hand forged, which would indicate a much more modern manufacturing method, but the other side of the blade (thumb flat side) suggests that the drill holes have all been executed from that side, with all holes centrally marked and drilled according to these fullers.
The fullers on the ring side of the blade are not exactly aligned to those on the thumb flat side, which has resulted in the ring side drill holes being off-centre in several cases.

This is no indication of modern manufacturing method, simply mis-aligned fullering, which is common to historical European blades of munition - medium grade.

Something else that caught my attention was what appeared to be a couple of tiny highlights just to either side of the 3rd set of drilled holes in the middle fullers (ring side in your first pic) that looks like modern welding spatter
There also appears to be something that could be the same in the second to left fuller (ring side flat), just below the quillions. For the sake of your blade being authentic, I can only hope that this is not the case and that it is simply the way that detail is showing via the medium of e-mailed photographs!

The close up reveals good detail on the quillions, which would suggest that they are either forge welded and filed into form or cast, but being original and good quality in either case.

I hope that the above might be helpful.

All the best,

Macdonald
Old 15th September 2008, 03:26 PM   #8
celtan

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

This has been a very interesting repartee, I have learned a lot from same. Not only that, It has opened to me a new venue of study. I was fixated into blades and hilts, seldom considering pommels or grips.

As you said, I haven't been able to find another pommel or grip just like the one discussed. Of those relatively similar, most are 17th C., and yet as an example:

The Great Dublin Civic Sword, once owned by Henry IV ( c.1403), has a similarly shaped pommel. Also, in the book "Swords and Hilt Weapons" there's an Italian rapier on p. 61 (c.1610) also with a similarly shaped pommel. Neither of the two, though are _identical _to the dagger's.

Let's continue this as new info is made available.

Best

M
Old 15th September 2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Atlantia

Hi Manuel,

I like the dagger. I have some reservations, mostly about the ebony grip, but overall it seems like its construction is fairly consistant throughout, medium quality, slightly more elaborate than would be expected.
The pommel does appear to be a 18thC style urn pommel, but the more I look at it the more I just wonder if its a bit of a hybrid of 17thC styles?
The closest I can find is on a Hungarian executioners sword from about 1620.

But there are other swords and daggers from the 17th that do have some similarities to the urn form, this could just be a slightly skewed interpretation of one of those forms made by a medium skilled artisan. (Just an idea)

Pappenheimers seem to sometimes have pommels that are more asymetric and 'urn like'.

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 07:54 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well placed ideas Atlantia! I like your way of thinking, and the examples you show give plausible cause for consideration. The ebony grip is the key point that I noticed as well, but the piece does have definite character, which is often why I tend to like munition grade items. I agree this is a bit above that guage though.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 08:53 PM   #11
katana

Could the pommel / ebony handle just be later replacement (in the 18th C), perhaps due to damage or refurbishment . It does seem that the pommel has been there for some time.

Surprised that someone suggested you place your thumb in the 'ring' ....ouch

I also noticed that the 'ring' appears to be heart shaped....is that the case?

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2008, 11:00 PM   #12
Paul Macdonald

Hi Folks,

I agree David that the grip and pommel could well be later replacements, I would suggest late C18th/early C19th.

The pommel detail also has a repeated roped pattern, which does not appear on the quillions anywhere. It would be very common for pommels and quillions on both swords and daggers of the C17th to have matching patterns of some sort.

The rapier pommels do look a bit similar, but the main difference is that pappenheimer pommels of this type typically tend to have concave faces to their form, whereas the late C18th/early C19th urn pommels have convex faces on the main body.

The pommel is very similar to many late C18th or early C19th spadroon or court sword pommels.

All the best,

Macdonald