Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2023, 05:52 PM   #1
cannonmn

Default One that got away : c (

Heres an arsenal model of a Spanish 9” howitzer on an original carriage, but carriage not correct for that weapon. Best image available. Long story short I followed it for 30 years calling owner every couple of years but he gave it to his son.. I was ready to pay very well for it. But now dont know where son went. The markings were fantastic, great Carlos IV cypher on top, had its own name near muzzle, basering had tiny but perfect engraving re Manila Arsenal 18??, chase had long presentation from US ordnance officer to Secretary of War dated 1899. Tube about 22” long. The owner bought a home in suburban Washington DC and this wonderful model was on the floor of a closet. The tube weighed about 40 lbs. as I recall, weight was of course marked on trunnion in tiny but perfect characters. If you have it come get the big stack of greenbacks I have for it! I did get a slightly smaller Manila Arsenal model from another source that I’ll post someday.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 15th October 2023 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Pictures uploading
cannonmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2023, 10:43 AM   #2
Victrix

That’s a beautiful model! Is the barrel made of brass? The shine looks quite striking against the hardwood carriage. Did these models have mainly decorative uses? Can you share with us what the mark of the Manila Arsenal looks like?
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote