Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd May 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
mross

Default keris oil

Does anyone know of a good source for the scented keris oil? I tried searching the forum, but keris items are too numerous and oil is rejected. I used to have a source from ebay but I have not seen anything for sale in a while and I'm running low.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Mross

You can make some up yourself go to your health food store and buy a jar of coconut oil you can blend that with other scented oils and it works ok or just use some mineral oil mixed with other scented oils. If you want I can mix up a small bottle for you to test out.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:28 PM   #3
doecon

Some local (indonesian) Keris collectors and dealers use "Singer" oil, I have no idea where to get it, but it is supose to come from the sewing machine company. There is plenty alternatives as mentioned above, even gun oil can be used. Unfortunatly you will have to miss the nice mistik or cendana smell
doecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:01 PM   #4
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
Unfortunatly you will have to miss the nice mistik or cendana smell
doecon, As a reference I just received two keris( two other received but as yet unopened, kids wife reason why) from you and the scent is what I was looking for. I had sandalwood oil but am running low.

louieblades, Thanks if I can't find the scented oil (that is safe to use, I have heard that some of the essential oils can cause rust) I will take you up on it.

I guess as a side note to this thread what are the scents used for keris? I know of sandalwood, any others? What is mistik and cendana? I am unfamiliar with the terms.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:09 PM   #5
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
Some local (indonesian) Keris collectors and dealers use "Singer" oil, I have no idea where to get it, but it is supose to come from the sewing machine company. There is plenty alternatives as mentioned above, even gun oil can be used. Unfortunatly you will have to miss the nice mistik or cendana smell
"Singer" oil is just that, sewing machine oil that is made by Singer sewing machine co. If you use this it would be used as a base oil and scented essential oils would be added to it, so there is no reason why you would have to miss out on the cendana (sandalwood) as Doecon suggests, since it is easily obtainable. Rose and Jasimine are also sometimes used, but i prefer the less sweet varieties. What i would really like to find a source for is kenanga oil, which gives my favorite type of keris oil it's edge. If anyone knows a source for this oil please let me know.
I would stay away from coconut oil, even though it is traditionally used. It goes rancid rather easily. Mineral oil makes a very good base as does sewing machine oil. Just add your scented oils to the base oil. There are many references to keris oil on the forum, but i think it is mostly the old forum. Check out these threads:
http://www.vikingsword.com/cgi-bin/s...=37&StartAt=A:
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:21 PM   #6
doecon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
doecon, As a reference I just received two keris( two other received but as yet unopened, kids wife reason why) from you and the scent is what I was looking for. I had sandalwood oil but am running low.

louieblades, Thanks if I can't find the scented oil (that is safe to use, I have heard that some of the essential oils can cause rust) I will take you up on it.

I guess as a side note to this thread what are the scents used for keris? I know of sandalwood, any others? What is mistik and cendana? I am unfamiliar with the terms.

Mistik and cendana (sandlewood oil) are mixed for the "parfume". Mistik is a bit darker, so the pamor might become blurry, but the smell is better. (less sweet indeed).

Last edited by Rick; 22nd May 2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Sales reference in Discussion Forum
doecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:05 PM   #7
nechesh

My on-line research seems to imply that kenanga and ylang-ylang are one in the same. Can anyone verify this, since ylang-ylang oil is easy to find here in the States.
Doecon, can you elaborate on Mistik? I can't find any references to it. Is it an essential oil or a mix?
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:20 PM   #8
jarhead

What i would really like to find a source for is kenanga oil, which gives my favorite type of keris oil it's edge. If anyone knows a source for this oil please let me know.

try this link: http://www.theherbalist.com/ylang_ylang_oil.html
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:22 AM   #9
Lei Shen Dao

http://www.cimandecombat.com/loudbabycart/index2.html
http://www.murnis.com/onlineshop/incense/index.htm

Take a look here. I have never tryied them, but you can try.

My favorite is a Madurese oil from a friend in Indonesia, that is very "heavy" in perfume (the keris smells for months with just some drops) and another one from Solo that is very rare and has some very strange ingredients during it's preparation).

If you believe in the esoteric aspect, use only natural oil.
If you find pure natural fragnant oil, you can put some water and fresh jasmine flowers for some days in a bottle in order to make it less "heavy" in substance.
Lei Shen Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:24 AM   #10
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead
What i would really like to find a source for is kenanga oil, which gives my favorite type of keris oil it's edge. If anyone knows a source for this oil please let me know.

try this link: http://www.theherbalist.com/ylang_ylang_oil.html
Thanks Jarhead, but if kenanga is indeed ylang-ylang then i have no trouble finding it locally. Infact, i already have a bottle of the stuff in my essential oils collection.
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:28 AM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I like Sandalwood oil myself .. pure .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:32 AM   #12
nechesh

Don't you find it a little thick Rick? Love the smell....
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:03 AM   #13
nechesh

Well, i have been informed that while kananga and ylang-ylang come from the same family of plant that they are indeed different. A quick whiff from my ylang-ylang bottle comfirms this. So i am back to my starting point. If anyone knows where i can obtain Kenanga oil i would greatly appreciate it, thanks.
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:09 AM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Don't you find it a little thick Rick? Love the smell....
It's a little thick but it stays on well .

I'm a little thick too .
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:28 AM   #15
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
It's a little thick but it stays on well .

I'm a little thick too .
No comment....
Old 23rd May 2006, 02:51 PM   #16
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

LOL
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:15 PM   #17
BluErf

Quote:
I like Sandalwood oil myself .. pure .
Oohhh... that's expensive... A 25g bottle here in Singapore cost me $45 2yrs back, and I could only bring myself to use it on my most special few kerises, diluted 1-for-1 with singer oil once every few months...
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Kai Wee , the stuff that I buy in the States is about half the price that you pay ; it's used for aromatherapy and comes in 15 ml bottles .

The company name is Aura Cacia out of California .

I only use it every few months ; about 5 drops per side is plenty .
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:03 PM   #19
BSMStar

Quote:
Hi Kai Wee , the stuff that I buy in the States is about half the price that you pay ; it's used for aromatherapy and comes in 15 ml bottles .

The company name is Aura Cacia out of California .

I only use it every few months ; about 5 drops per side is plenty .
Hey Rick, when was the last time you purchased from these folks....

They have a blend with Jojoba oil that is about 10 clams, but the the 15ml 100% is in the 45 clam range. To blend yourself can cost some serious clams.
BSMStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:49 PM   #20
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Added info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMStar
Hey Rick, when was the last time you purchased from these folks....

They have a blend with Jojoba oil that is about 10 clams, but the the 15ml 100% is in the 45 clam range. To blend yourself can cost some serious clams.
You know I checked the site today and you are correct Sir .

I have had my bottle for a couple or three years along with another Sandalwood oil from New Directions Aromatics out of Canada which my Wife bought at a mall kiosk http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.co...ian-p-343.html ; as a matter of fact I believe she bought both bottles .

I don't oil for ritualistic purposes and I love the smell of 100% ; forgive an old man his indulgences and his failing memory .

Last edited by Rick; 23rd May 2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:55 PM   #21
BSMStar

Quote:
I don't oil for ritualistic purposes and I love the smell of 100% ; forgive an old man his indulgences and his failing memory .
Yea, that makes two of us... I am an old sap for these wonderful oils.
Old 25th May 2006, 12:56 AM   #22
BluErf

I'm going to buy another 25gm bottle soon. Hope the price has not gone up too much here in Singapore. Will keep you guys posted.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 07:31 PM   #23
Pusaka

Personally I don’t like using mineral/petroleum oil on my keris. You can use almond oil as a base and add essential oils to it to make a good keris oil, not too thick and won’t go rancid like coconut oil products.

I once mixed sandalwood & myrrh oil to make up a keris oil and to my shock it dried to form a clear solid layer like the blade had been varnished. I guess it would be good for protecting the blade but not what I was looking for.
If you’re going to mix your own oils its best to test it out on a piece of steel first just to make sure you don’t end up forming a varnish, you never know how two oils will react.
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 11:19 PM   #24
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
Personally I don’t like using mineral/petroleum oil on my keris. You can use almond oil as a base and add essential oils to it to make a good keris oil, not too thick and won’t go rancid like coconut oil products.

I once mixed sandalwood & myrrh oil to make up a keris oil and to my shock it dried to form a clear solid layer like the blade had been varnished. I guess it would be good for protecting the blade but not what I was looking for.
If you’re going to mix your own oils its best to test it out on a piece of steel first just to make sure you don’t end up forming a varnish, you never know how two oils will react.
I think myrrh, like frankincense, is a resin, which may be why you ended up with varnish. Almond oil sounds like an interesting base option, though it does add it's own scent which needs to be taken into consideration. Thanks for tyhe suggestion. I'll experiment.
Old 28th May 2006, 03:02 PM   #25
Pusaka

I used the essential oil of myrrh not the resin however it did make a varnish.
The almond oil I purchased did not have a noticeable scent so I don’t think it will affect the overall scent much.
I hear that some keris oils encourage fungal growth in the wooden sheath if used excessively.

I wonder if some keris oils are made with the same care as cimande oil. Traditionally the recipe of the oil used in cimande Silat is a closely guarded secret. It is produced on one night a year and empowered by reciting sacred mantras into the oil. According to Ace Sutisna, one of the holders of the recipe “the oil in itself is not unusual, it is the mantra that brings it to life”
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 03:40 PM   #26
nechesh

Quote:
I used the essential oil of myrrh not the resin however it did make a varnish.
The almond oil I purchased did not have a noticeable scent so I don’t think it will affect the overall scent much.
I hear that some keris oils encourage fungal growth in the wooden sheath if used excessively.
Well obviously you would use the essential oil. My point was that it still comes from a resinous source, so maybe that was your problem. I don't see how either of the other two ingredients you mention could turn to varnish, so the myrrh is the likely culprit.

Quote:
I wonder if some keris oils are made with the same care as cimande oil. Traditionally the recipe of the oil used in cimande Silat is a closely guarded secret. It is produced on one night a year and empowered by reciting sacred mantras into the oil. According to Ace Sutisna, one of the holders of the recipe “the oil in itself is not unusual, it is the mantra that brings it to life”
I would imagine they are, though i am not familar with cimande oil. The mantras may be a well guarded secret, but anyone with the desire and intuition should be capable of developing their own rituals and mantras capable of bringing their keris oil "to life". Like all things meant to have magickal intent in your life, it is best to create them yourself if you are capable, thus allowing you to create it to best suit you own needs and personality. Of course we can't always do this (if only i had the knowledge and skills to make my own keris.... ) but i would highly encourage those who have the inclination to make their own keris oils and empower them as they see fit.
Old 29th May 2006, 05:43 PM   #27
BSMStar

You may all be aware, and this is not a traditional oil (in Keris circles)... Clove oil works very well, smells good and will not tarnish a steel blade.
Old 30th May 2006, 10:08 AM   #28
kronckew

Quote:
I once mixed sandalwood & myrrh oil to make up a keris oil and to my shock it dried to form a clear solid layer like the blade had been varnished.
sandalwood oil will oxidize and form a dry coating, some people recommend it for finishing wood parts of kukhris. see Linky around post no. 7, myrrh is of course, the resinous sap of an arabian tree.

not best for the metal parts tho....
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 10:47 AM   #29
VVV

Pusaka,

Isn't the main ingredient in Cimande oil plain coconut oil?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 02:11 PM   #30
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMStar
You may all be aware, and this is not a traditional oil (in Keris circles)... Clove oil works very well, smells good and will not tarnish a steel blade.
Are you sure clove oil isn't corrosive???