Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 31st May 2011, 02:47 AM   #1
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,466
Default PEDANG for Comment

Have just picked up this Pedang?? Not of high quality I suspect, but then I am not really familiar with these things.
Attached Images
    
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Amuk Murugul
Member
 
Amuk Murugul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wangsa Widjaja Koesoemah: 'Sama Marantaw Badjaoe'
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Have just picked up this Pedang?? Not of high quality I suspect, but then I am not really familiar with these things.

Hullo everybody!

I call it a golok djanoer ('she who MUST be obeyed' uses one to clear brush/long-grass around our house). This style was popular in the 1950s.
Blade: L=41cm., OAL=56cm. T=0.8cm, W=1.6cm.
Handle: Carved buffalo-horn
Sheath: Bamboo outer strips. Tin bands and sock. Buffalo-horn belt-clasp and throat.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 03:10 AM   #3
KuKulzA28
Member
 
KuKulzA28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: between work and sleep
Posts: 731
Default

This golok is from Java right?

The sheath style with the bands, the protruding lip of the sheath, and the blade shape make me think so...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 03:18 AM   #4
Amuk Murugul
Member
 
Amuk Murugul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wangsa Widjaja Koesoemah: 'Sama Marantaw Badjaoe'
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
This golok is from Java right?

The sheath style with the bands, the protruding lip of the sheath, and the blade shape make me think so...

...originally western Java (golok Soenda)..... but I have seen similar made in other places.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 04:14 AM   #5
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo everybody!

I call it a golok djanoer ('she who MUST be obeyed' uses one to clear brush/long-grass around our house). This style was popular in the 1950s.
Blade: L=41cm., OAL=56cm. T=0.8cm, W=1.6cm.
Handle: Carved buffalo-horn
Sheath: Bamboo outer strips. Tin bands and sock. Buffalo-horn belt-clasp and throat.

Best,

Thanks for the correct term. If she who MUST be obeyed weilds one of these, then indeed she MUST be obeyed!!
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Rick
Member
 
Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,766
Default

This looks like one of the pieces sold by the now defunct Valiant Arms.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.