Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th January 2007, 07:51 PM   #1
BBJW

Default Tulwar inscription question 2

Hello- Can anyone tell me anything about the markings on this fine tulwar? High quality blade measures 31.5 inches.

Cheers
bbjw
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Emanuel

Hello, hard to make out, but I think your tulwar may have the Mazar-i-Sharif stamp...cannon and minaret.
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 09:53 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Please try to take the pictures without a blitz, and please try try to take them outside when it is clouted, you will aviod a lot of shadow. Then, maybe we can get a better picture of the what you are asking.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Enlarged and sharpened.
Not so sure this is a Mazar stamp.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you Rick.

The details shown are from two different tulwars. The square stamp is deep, so it must have been made then the blade was still warm, which could suggest a smith’s mark or maybe an armoury mark – but both suggestions are pure guessing.

The other detail, the ‘eyelashes’ with the three dots at each end could be a copy from European blades, a kind of ‘quality mark’, or they could mean something else, as they are used with the three dots, which are relatively often seen on Indian weapons, but not on European weapons, as far as I know. A funny thing is, that I can not recall to have seen the ‘eyelashes’ on dagger blades – can anyone else?
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

You're very welcome Jens .
Always ready to help out if I can .

Rick
Old 15th January 2007, 11:45 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

A very good example of a NW India tulwar, and the deep stamp near the forte of the blade is probably arsenal related, with the characters found in the cartouche typically in Urdu. As Rick has noted, the deep arsenal stamps for the Mazir-i-Sharif are found on the Anglo-Afghan military swords from the 1890's, and seem to have been associated with campaigns in NW frontier regions through the 3rd Afghan War.

The 'eyelash' (often termed 'sickle') marks are native interpretation of the early trade blade markings that seem to have derived from Italian blades, particularly Genoa, and diffused widely into centers in Styria, the Caucusus (where the stamps bring the term 'gurda' to the blade, meaning quality) and of course India (then including Afghanistan regions). The Afghan sabre known as the paluoar seems to consistantly have these 'eyelash' marks on the blade, though they do not regularly appear on tulwars. Therefore the thought of the Mazir-i-Sharif stamp, though not the case, does seem a good suggestion. Possibly this blade may have derived from the far northern Afghan regions near the frontier, while the armoury at Mazir-i-Sharif is further away.

Outstanding observation Jens!! You are right, now that you mention it these marks do not occur on dagger blades. While we know trade blades for swords were a common commodity, it does not seem that such trade existed for dagger blades..or did it?

All best regards,
Jim

P.S. Hey Rick, can you post the Afghan sword?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 01:07 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Sure Jim !
Attached Images

Old 16th January 2007, 02:59 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ah Thanks Rick!!!
Yours really is nice, especially with the markings on the quillon (did we ever get them translated?) and intact scabbard.
Memories of the "Great Game" !!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote