Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Default Ivory hilt dagger with "Tears" and a "Smiley?"

This arrived this week and I need some help.
What I know is:
Has an Ivory, of some type,hilt.
Crucible steel, wootz, blade.
Has steel balls in the handle,Tears, and has a "smiley" cut into the hilt.
What I like to know is what is it called, age, blade type, and name of the dagger?
What purpose is the cut in the hilt that I call a "smiley"?
The cut is also into the hilt strap as it is raised up on the upper side of the cut, as well as in the Ivory.
Thank you
Gene
Attached Images

Mare Rosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 02:20 PM   #2
CharlesS

This dagger is an example of an Indo-Persian 'zirah bouk', or 'mail(armor) piercer'.

It's an exceptional quality example, if slightly smaller than most.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 07:32 PM   #3
kronckew

similar zira bouk, koftgari hand grip, pattern welded blade - 11 in. overall

i suspect it is a bit newer than yours

i have a Kard with the same 'C' cut on the lower portion of the grip which is also cut into the tang such that the tang aft of the cut is a mm or so higher from the cut to the pommel end, the step is noticeable.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Gene, nice Zirah-bhonk, nice pictures.

The blades can be of different lengths, Stone writes that the blade shown in his book is 6.5 inch’s.

In Indian and Oriental Armour by Lord Egerton of Tatton, I found this in a note on page 138, under #717. “The Z.S. Collection [Musee de Tzarskoe-Selo du Collection D’Armes, St. Petersborg, Russia. It seems as if there are three of these daggers in the collection, but only one is shown in a drawing]. ‘Zirah-bhonk’ (mail piercer) knife of fine Damascus steel, short with a conical point. It is used for piercing through the rings of a coat of mail. One of these knifes is hollowed out along the back, and the grove filled with small pearls which runs backwards and forwards in handling the weapon. It is said en Persian poetry that they represent the tears of the wounded.

In a dagger at the Soltykoff Collection [a Russian prince], there is a grove in the blade filled with a number of small rubies, so that when the dagger is raised the stones glitter like drops of blood. India is perhaps of all countries that which has endowed cruelty with the utmost grace (Industrial Arts, Burty).

The handle of these knives is usually of walrus-tooth ivory which is preferred to that of the elephant as being less likely to split.“

Anthony C. Tirri in Islamic Weapons shows one, on page 214 #151 and writes Persian/North Indian, but only Stone gives a measure of the blade. I do remember having seen one or two with rather big blades, but I think most of the blades were moderate in size.

In Memorials from the Jaypore Exhibition 1883 by Hendley. You can see the same type of knife, the hilt is ivory, this knife was made by a Jaypore armourer, and was sent to the exhibition from the Jaypore armoury (Jaypore/Jeypore/Jaipur was also called Amber). Lt.-colonel Thomas Holbein Hendly had many good friends amongst the Maharajas in Rajasthan, and one of them was Maharaja Madho Singh of Jaypore – at the time of the exhibition the Maharaja was in his twenties. I have seen his data given to 1880-1922, but I am uncertain of, if this is his birth-death dates, or the time he ruled.

Your dagger has Persian influence, but I believe it to be Indian, and this tells us that a likely place to look for its origin will be, Rajasthan, Punjab or, maybe even towards NW frontier, but not to the south. The hilt is interesting, and the bearings/balls running at the back of the hilt is unusual. Congratulations Gene – and don’t forget to enjoy the day.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Well now I have got the name for my dagger (at least two spellings )
( CharlesS and Jens)and found out that there are other daggers with the "C' cut,(Kronckew, thank you all.
You know when Jens talks everyone listens (or should). His postings are, in my opinion, some of the best going!. His post on my dagger is just outstanding.
Now after I have said that about Jens I now will tell you that my "new" dagger has three pol reversals on it's 5" blade!! I just hope Jens will not start to ask his, noted for, hard questions about the Magnetic properties of the blade. I hesitate to say this but will take pictures of the blade with three compasses (I still have my supply ) on the blade and post them here,showing all three needles point in a different direction from it's neighbor compass. This is just to show that it exist on this dagger as the thinking behind it is explained in Jens Classic post on Magnetic properties.
Kronckew, can you take a picture of the "C" on you kard? perhaps we can get an answer as to it's purpose and why it was used.
Gene (having a great day)
Mare Rosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Thanks for the nice words Gene, but you are way too kind, all I did was to look in some of my books and add a few words.

I have had a look in the books I have on Persian arms – no Zirah-Bhonk. This is strange, as Stone writes it is Persian, but maybe he was mistaken. I did however find one somewhat similar in ‘Weapons of the Islamic World’, it is a catalogue made for an exhibition at The Islamic Gallery in King Faisal Foundation Centre, Riyadh, 1991, page 97 #96. If the text on the picture can’t be read, here it is. ‘An Indian dagger decorated in Johar flakes. The blade and the hilt are both gilded in Kashmiri style. Indian XIVth century A.H. (19th century AD).
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote