Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th September 2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Rafngard

Smile 3 more Gunongs

Yep, I'm hooked on PI weapons.

Finally had a chance to take from photos of some of my new stuff, not an overcast day, but I did the best I could. I've had good luck with Gunongs recently, and I got each of these for a rather modest price. I think all of them should be post WII.

The first one was, per the seller, acquired in Davao city in 1993 seller described as "tiboli pattern," but that doesn't seem quite right to me. Maranao maybe? I'm not very good at this yet. I don't think this one is likely to have a laminated blade, but I like the okir. The guard and scabbard look like white metal. It needs a cleaning, and the pommel needs some love.

The second one I know nothing about the history of. A fairly simple piece. I suspect the guard is from a copper coin. The lamination is beautiful. I could stare at it all day. I think the leather on the scabbard is a latter addition. Not sure what the ferrule is made of.

The third one I think is Maranao (based on the okir), but I could be wrong. I think the guard and ferrule are horn. In direct sunlight, it's clear that blade is laminated, but could use an etch. You can kind of see this in the last photo.

I'm happy to hear any opinions about age, which culture produced these, what materials were used, or anything else.

Have fun,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Rafngard

Default ....and because I'm a nerd.

Family photos! These three along with my first gunong, posted to forum here

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20261
Attached Images

Old 19th September 2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Rafngard,

agree with you that the first one is very recent, my guess would be around the 70s last century.

The second one I like very much and is from the 20s/30s in my opinion, the ferrule look like silver, to be sure you need to test it.

The third one is a typical piece from the 40s, the design of the okir engraving and the form let me think like this.

Nice small family!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rafngard:

I agree with Detlef. The first one is second half of 20th C, and the other two are earlier 20th C.

While there is no reason the T'boli could not make gunong like these--they make excellent blades that are sought after by other tribes (usually the small kampilan style)--I have not heard of them making gunong before.

Nice family--momma, papa, and the two kids.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I will only add that usually the T'boli would make a lost wax method solid bronze/brass hilt with geometric designs.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 12:29 PM   #6
Rafngard

Thank you all very much for your insights on these.

Thanks,
Leif