Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 23rd September 2007, 03:10 AM   #1
drdavid

Default Another Japanese sword

Hi all
I have had this in the office for the best part of 30 years. It has always puzzled me as to what was going on. The blade seems like a post WW2 thing (although I guess it could have been war time production), the fittings look like good war time production apart from the rough cast (heavy) tsuba. Anyone got any ideas?
drd
Attached Images

Old 23rd September 2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Henk

David,

This sword looks to me as a typical shin gunto. It is signed as well. On the japanese sword guide site you can find characters. In this way you might figure out who the blade smith was.

http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm

But I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members on the forum can tell you more.
Old 24th September 2007, 08:07 AM   #3
scratch

Hello David,
As you know I'm new to this, but to me the writing nearest the tang hole says Middle Kingdom(China). I hope I will stand corrected in this. Did China ever produce earlier(than ebay) Japanese style swords?
David, I mean no offence.

Best Wishes

Daniel
Old 24th September 2007, 08:57 AM   #4
drdavid

Hi Daniel, absolutely no offence taken at your comments. Thanks for the thoughts on the kanji. I am not sure when China started producing knock off Japanese swords, and that would certainly be a possibility if they were doing it more than 30 years back. I have never thought the blade a quality hand forged item but as Henk has noted the fittings do seem authentic shin gunto. It could be as simple as someone having some nice fittings and attaching them to a relatively modern repro blade...
cheers
David
Old 1st October 2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Thread locked pending sale ...

I have been notified by the owner that this sword is now on eBay. To avoid any unfortunate discussion of a sword currently on auction, and any suspension that might happen as a result, this thread has been locked.

Ian.
Closed Thread