Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st October 2005, 04:50 AM   #1
Hal Siegel

Default Talibon for identification

Howdy, folks.

A friend sent these pictures to me. He's seeking specific information as to date and location of origin.

Hal Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 04:30 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I WILL TAKE A STAB AT IT ALTHOUGH I CAN'T TELL A LOT FROM THE PICTURES. I CAN'T TELL IF THE HANDLE IS OLDER THAN THE SCABBARD BUT THAT IS A POSIBILITY. THE SCABBARD IS WELL CARVED AND APPEARS TO HAVE HAD SOME TYPE OF INLAY WHICH IS MISSING POSSIBLY COINS OR M.O.P. IT IS PUT TOGETHER WITH PINS INSTEAD OF FIBER WRAP AS USUAL, THERE IS ALSO A METAL FERULE ON THE HANDLE WHICH IS NOT THE TRADITIONAL STYLE. SO I SUSPECT IT WAS PROBABLY MADE DURING OR JUST AFTER WW2 PERHAPS IN CEBU OR PANAY TO TRADE OR SELL TO TROOPS. THE SCABARD CARVING IS SUPERIOR TO MOST FOUND IN USE LOCALLY AND WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE BY A PROFESIONAL CARVER EITHER FOR A LOCAL WHO CAME INTO SOME MONEY OR MORE LIKELY FOR SALE TO TROOPS WHO HAD MONEY. IS THERE ANY TRACES OF GLUE IN THE HOLES WHERE THE INLAY WOULD HAVE BEEN? IF SO PERHAPS THE OWNER REMOVED COINS BEFORE SELLING OR THEY COULD HAVE FALLEN OUT AND BECOME LOST LATER. IF NO TRACES OF GLUE ARE THERE MOST LIKELY NO INLAYS WERE EVER PUT IN PLACE. A NICE LOOKING KNIFE!!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 07:00 PM   #3
zelbone

I'll agree with Vandoo with the one exception...

Most likely this is from Samar or Leyte..possibly Cebu...but not Panay or Negros.
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote