Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th August 2014, 07:02 PM   #1
TVV

Default A Spadroon (?) in Ottoman Dress

Gentlemen,

A friend of mine has acquired this sword, and requested my help to post it here for more information. It appears to be a European blade and guard, which at some point received an Ottoman hilt and scabbard. The hilt and especially the scabbard do look like they were made for this blade.

I would appreciate your comments on the sword and any suggestions on the origin of the blade and guard.

Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams TVV Thank you for the pictures of the fine sword.......I have to say that not being a spadroon enthusiast I had to go and find out what it meant...thus; The web states Quote "The Spadroon is a light sword with a straight blade of the cut and thrust type. The style became popular among military and naval officers in the 1790s, spreading from England to the United States and to France, where it was known as the épée anglaise (English sword). Hilts were often of the beaded or "five-ball" type with a stirrup guard. A spadroon blade usually had a broad, central fuller and a single edge, often with a false edge near the tip. Spadroons can also be double-edged as well."Unquote.

Assuming that the central fuller means it could also be a central riser in this case... I suppose it is a Spadroon..and very effective it must have been in the lunge. I see the Turkish hilt. I think you have it more or less well placed as you have described it exactly and the scabbard looks like it was made for the blade... Do you have any more information?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting piece Teodor, though it is not technically a spadroon, which is yet another of those contrived sword terms which have more to do with fashion than actual form.
The type of military officers sword, which as Ibrahiim has well noted as end of the 18th century was actually a straight blade backsword which was officially ordered for infantry officers in 1786. It was a neoclassic styled hilt with simple stirrup guard (most commonly with five bead decoration).

The term 'spadroon' derived from the terms spadone or spadrone used in German and Italian fencing early in the century, and have to do with a fencing position or 'guard'. The term became aligned with very light blades used in particular cutting technique, and became also associated with English cut and thrust styles in fencing.

The 'oon' suffix derives presumably from the fact that these light straight sabres were to replace the polearms used by infantry officers and known as 'spontoons'.

The blade on this example is not of the hollow ground, backsword form seen on these English, French and as indicated by c.1812, American straight sabres.
This raised midrib blade resembles a French dragoon or cuirassier sword of c.1803, and the style of motif resembles the type of decoration seen on these blades from earlier in the 18th century. The stars and sunburst are reminiscent of the cabbalistic motifs and designs which in my opinion often had associations with Masonic symbolism, which commonly was of course found throughout English, French and American gentry, including officers .

The Ottoman 'pistol grip' hilt is of course typical of the much earlier Turkish sabres which became known as 'mameluke' swords during the Napoleonic campaigns in Egypt. Both English and French officers were most admiring of these swords, and many officers took to having their own versions fashioned for them, with the British making the design of this style hit 'official' in 1831 and. In America the 'mameluke' hilt became the official hilt for officers in the U.S. Marine Corps and remains to this day.

I am not sure the grip is European nor part of a typical Ottoman assembly. The colorful wrap is of course seemingly quite modern and perhaps covers damage to the horn hilt.
Without actually handling the sword it is hard to say if this might have been joined compositely in period (early 19th c) or put together at some time by industrious merchant in North Africa or Arabia. The scabbard is indeed made for the blade in the typical style seen on Ottoman kilij with the same seam which has a coiled spring type fixture within (there is a term for this which I cannot recall).
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 05:52 PM   #4
TVV

Jim and Ibrahim,

Thank you for your comments and observation son the blade. I do not have the sword in hand either, and like you only have the pictures. What I find interesting is that while the owner replaced the scabbard and the grip, he chose to keep the European guard, perhaps due to the significance of the solar symbol on it.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote