Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th July 2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Andrew

Thumbs up Indo-Persian Blades in the Collection of E. Gene Beall by Dr. Ann Feuerbach

Gene (mare rosu) commissioned an analysis of some knives in his collection by Dr. Ann Feuerbach, and has generously offered to share it with us. As the PDF file is far too large to upload to a forum thread, Lee has created a static page and hosted it here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/beallcollection.pdf

http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/index.html

Many thanks to Gene and Ann. Fantastic stuff!

Needless to say, this goes to the "Classics": http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3699
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 06:57 PM   #2
RhysMichael

Great stuff thanks
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Henk

Thumbs up

That's really great. Thanks for sharing.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Gonzalo G

Valuable material, Andrew, thank you. This goes beyond ID´ing pieces and traslating inscriptions.
My best regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 03:47 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Many, Many thanks Andrew. I bow in your presence.

BTW - "bumpity bump"?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you Andrew for your help, but we must not forget, that it was Gene who made it possible. Had he not collected the weapons, asked Ann Feuerbach to study them and write a rapport, this interesting rapport would not have been on the forum. Thank you very much Gene.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Andrew

Jens is correct guys: I really didn't do anything but pester Lee to host Ann's work. Ann and Gene deserve the thanks and praise!
Old 28th July 2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara

BTW - "bumpity bump"?
Old 28th July 2008, 07:45 PM   #9
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Smile My thanks to all forum folks

Hello to all; I want to thank Dr. Ann for all the hours of her time and effort she spent on this project, as well as Andrew and Dr. Lee for allowing the report to be posted. Thanks to members of this forum for information about the knives, from prior postings on this forum. Most of the knives listed have been written up in the past on this forum and a lot of great information about them can be found (see Jens “classic” on blade magnetism, on the Mysore blade). I want to acknowledge the help of members of this forum, that is, Jens Nordlunde, Brian Isaac and Radu Frentiu for their help in educating me on the blades as well as great information in general on all aspects of collecting. This forum is one great place to learn and share.

I like to express a personal opinion at this point. I think the responsibility of having a collection even as small as mine, should be of the utmost concern for all of us. Since I do not keep the collection at home and when I do get to them it is like seeing an old friend after a long time absence, the kindling of friendship starts all over again. One must always treat old friends with respect, and honor, shame on anyone that looses, mistreats or create damage to them, as has been said many times on this forum, yes, you may own them now but not forever, there are just in our care for a little while.

One thing that Dr. Ann did for me was to have the report printed up in a spiral binder and she used high glossy paper, that makes the pictures just “jump” out at me and is almost as good as having the knives in my hands. I learn something new each time I read her report. This forum is noted, and rightly so, for the sharing of information between each other and if this report provides any help to others by having this report posted then it is well worth it.

My health being what it is keeps me from posting as often as I would like to. I just wish I had started collecting earlier. The “hunt” is a great part of the fun of collecting; the acquiring is not so bad either.
So I again say thank you all for your kind comments and to Jens, Brian, and Radu (wherever you are ) a really big, big THANK YOU for your kindness and help.
Gene
Mare Rosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Andrew

Thumbs up

Gene,

Thank you so much for making this available to the Forum members. So many collectors become "hoarders" and, sadly, their collections (and legacies) become lost and forgotten. Sharing your collection in this way is incredibly generous and we beneficiaries of that generosity are so fortunate.

Thank you again, my friend.

Best regards,
Andrew
Old 29th July 2008, 09:42 PM   #11
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you Gene, for the very kind words, but I feel sure others deserve them more than I do. Anyway it is a very interesting report, and the way it is made should give other a pointer, how to make their own catalogue.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 06:55 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This outstanding presentation represents in my opinion, what true antique weapons collecting is all about. Here is a classic example of a truly discerning collector, who rather than amassing a volume of weapons, has carefully selected classically representative pieces. Then, most important of all, he has sought to explore the history most plausibly connected to each of these beautiful items.
By commissioning this work with others who share the deep interest in this field of arms, he has sought to learn what the weapons themselves would tell us. In doing this he has presented us with an important legacy, not only in the detailed and fascinating report on his weapons, but in reminding us of how we should be studying the weapons we collect.

While we acquire and admire aesthetically the weapons that become our collections, we must all remember that we become the caretakers of these venerable warriors, and we should do all possible to learn about them and preserve not only them, but thier history.

Thank you so much Gene!!!!

With utmost respect,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Andrew

Hear, hear!

Jim, check your PMs, please.